Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Business / Investing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 PM  

Saving money?

I'd like to find out where others are depositing any extra money they have, if any. Are you into CD's, Money Markets, Savings Accounts, gold? Please share so we can all be informed, and what type of interest rate are you receiving?

Old 11-08-2010, 04:12 PM  

This is where I have some money saved. This is a gamble, as it is not FDIC Insured, so I have to pay close attention on the economy every day, and be prepared to pull it before any crisis occurs. To date, I have not found any place that provides a better interest rate, unless it is locked up for several years.

Current Rates
For the Week Beginning November 8, 2010
Amount Invested Ford Interest Advantage
Rate Compound Yield
Under $15,000 1.55% 1.56%
$15,000 to $50,000 1.70% 1.71%
Over $50,000 1.85% 1.87%

Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 PM  

Nashville, TN
I had a customer of mine try and talk me into investing in Iraqi Dinars. He said they are ready to revalue them and you stand to make a fortune.

Me, I have mine wrapped up in CD's. Less risk but not much return...and I didn't take the hit like the stock market did. Think i'll stay put for a while longer...
Old 11-08-2010, 05:59 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm using the Thrift Savings Plan - which is the federal employees' stock-option sort of things. I don't put as much in there as I should, but I keeping moving it up a percentage point or two every few months.

I'm a pretty aggressive investor, which also means high risk, since I'm only 23 so I've got plenty of time - I think I've averaged about 8% over the past few years. I bought in when the economy was really low, so it's only gotten better since then.

I'm definitely in my infantile stages of "building my nest egg" though.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-13-2010, 09:51 AM  

Bellevue, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
I had a customer of mine try and talk me into investing in Iraqi Dinars. He said they are ready to revalue them and you stand to make a fortune.
That's so funny. I have a co-worker who's dad talked him into doing that. For awhile he was telling me how his dad was continually telling him,"the rate is going to change this week, get ready to be rich". I would tell him that's not how it works and for awhile he didn't believe me and would track the Dinar on a forum. I think he has pretty much given up hope and has decided that he has some nice souvenirs now, but I know he secretly wants it to work out. I told him if that is how it worked there would be about a million Iraqi millionaires when that rate suddenly changed overnight.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:53 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
I have what small investments I have scattered. Lately I've considered buying into some money funds like the AUS Dollar as they are not as reliant on the US then most other industrial Nations.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:03 PM  

The problem with investing with foreign currency is the fact that it is still tied to the decline of the dollar, if this foreign country has or is investing in the ever sinking U.S. Government Bonds.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
That's why you have to find Countries who not really invested in the US Dollar and do not rely on us THAT much for trading. AUS is a pretty good candidate for that. It's all risk though, esp. speculating on the rise/fall of the USD.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM  

Bellevue, Washington
My friend says that the Iraqi Dinar is going to make him rich this Friday. I guess some news about their government coming together has convinced the Dinar investors that it's as simple as one day the money is worth .000857 and the next it's worth 1 for 1.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:21 PM  

NJ
My local bank offers 3.5% and this is on a checking account. We have to use our debit card 10x a month and get direct deposit on my pay check - and the limit is $25k (after that it is .01% or something).

I know you can get close to this online

here is some more info:
3.01% Reward Checking Account at a Missouri Bank - Available Nationwide (Community Bank of Pleasant Hill)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Business / Investing
Bookmark this Page!