Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2011, 03:42 PM  

Any gold prospectors in So Cal?

I'm located in Santa Clarita, have some equipment to do some prospecting (Sluiceboxes, pans, metal detector, etc)
Just curious if anyone else on here is into the hobby.
That stupid Gold Rush: Alaska show got me curious to try it for a bit again! lol

Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I'm up in Oregon and feeling curious for the same reason. I've noticed some are finding gold in the upper fork of the Santiam near where I camped last year. I might try myself this summer.
Is the metal detector just meant to find nuggets? Since others have preceded me I was thinking every inch was probably already probed with detectors.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:00 PM  

It's a Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, which is Tesoro's top Gold detector.
Ironically, I bought it because my wife lost her ring while camping a while back and I figured that if I was going to spend the money on a detector I may as well get one that I could use for prospecting with.
Sadly though, it has yet to look for any nuggets.

That seems to be the problem with many places, is that people have already hit most of it with detectors. However, that doesn't mean that those people really took their time on it I suppose. Nuggets don't exactly go off like a siren on most detectors.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:54 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
However, that doesn't mean that those people really took their time on it I suppose. Nuggets don't exactly go off like a siren on most detectors.
I really don't have the experience to know. Gold Rush is inspiring a new mini gold rush though. two weeks ago a NW chain named BiMart put out gold pans with it's Spring camping gear. They disappeared overnight.

We're latecomers and I'm guessing most easily reached possibilities were first checked over 100 years ago.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 PM  

Yes and no... I got into it when I was about 13 (I'm 31 now).
Back then I was finding some small stuff, but the draw has always been more to get out of the house and have fun moreso than try to make money doing it.
I'd say in the 5-6 years I did it though, I only managed to get about 1/2 an ouce for all my efforts.
Back then I had a friend who was a GPAA member, and had access to their book of claims. Some of which still had decent gold if you had the equipment to find it.

I do agree though, once again the TV is influencing people to think that they too can get rich doing something. I think most of them will be sorely disappointed in their find though and within a year you'll be seeing a lot of prospecting equipment showing up on craigslist for dirt cheap.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:39 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
and within a year you'll be seeing a lot of prospecting equipment showing up on craigslist for dirt cheap.

I'm sure you're right but I'm irritated that I can't used my skills shopping the used market at present.

In the Idaho forum you can see a picture of Priest River Falls which has a base that may well hide a glory hole. Since Idaho probably would take a dim view of having their river diverted how the heck can anyone check such a site?

A few weeks ago I was watching Orange County Choppers and they built a bike for a company that builds water cutters. This company gave OCC a cutter that a man can put on his back and cut through rock or steel. What a tremendous tool for opening a likely rock seam. We should ask Mikey to go mining with us.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:05 PM  

A portable hydrojet for gold mining, now there's an idea! hah

Back in the day some mines used to use high pressure fire hoses to wash down the sides of mountains into a sluicebox. I can't remember what that technique was called though.

As far as diverting a river though, good luck with that one. You'd have every animal right activist all over you claiming that you're endangering some rare frog or the likes. Even if you managed to get a dredge in there and vacuumed it out with scuba gear, you'd still deal with that mess.

I know that GPAA had claims all over the states, I haven't checked into what a membership goes for these days though. At least on a claim, you can tell people that you're allowed to be there!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I know that GPAA had claims all over the states, I haven't checked into what a membership goes for these days though. At least on a claim, you can tell people that you're allowed to be there!
Any idea what is necessary to file a claim?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:05 AM  

Here's a whole site with a ton of info on it.

How to File a Gold Mining Claim | Gemologist Sam

I'm not sure what the stipulations are regarding the land you stake it on though, or what you're allowed to do once you stake a claim.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM  

Shuswap, BC
I do some in BC Canada.
I find it very relaxing, and fun to be camping to.
I have good days and bad days as far as gold actually found.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!