Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 PM  

Huntington Beach, CA
Great Camping, Hiking, and backpacking area!

In the Sierra Nevada mountain range, right in between Independence and Visalia, you have a great place called Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. It isn't very widely known but i have noticed more and more people every year. There are so many great dayhikes and high sierra weeklong trails. And the best part is that Mt. Whitney is within a weeks hike!

Starting in kings canyon and looping back is the ray lakes/paradise valley loop. it is very enjoyable. at first, going up the bubbs creek trail, it is constant uphill, then after Glenn pass its a steady downward trail the follows a stream which turns into a river further down the trail. if you hike early in the season you might even get some snow at Glenn pass.

from the south you also have a nice trail you can take from crescent meadow, Sequoia national park to roads end in kings canyon national park. i took the trail that went through bearpaw meadow, over elizabeth pass (snow) and descended into the canyon after going over avalanche pass.

As an experienced Hiker, i highly recommend this area to any ammeters who want to go for an adventure.

Pack Light!
-Tim

Old 10-13-2010, 06:56 PM  

Sonora, California
Sounds cool. Maybe I'll check it out this next Summer!

Old 10-13-2010, 10:02 PM  

Crystal Bay, Nevada
Sounds like fun. Ill have to check it out
Old 10-22-2010, 10:54 AM  

LA, CA
Does anyone know what the snow level is like right now in the Sierras? I'm thinking about a late season weekend backpacking trip, but have not heard how the weather is on the Eastern side.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:07 PM  

san diego, california
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Does anyone know what the snow level is like right now in the Sierras? I'm thinking about a late season weekend backpacking trip, but have not heard how the weather is on the Eastern side.
nice to see you here M14's. that sounds like a ton of fun even tho im sick. i miss camping and hiking!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 PM  

Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
nice to see you here M14's. that sounds like a ton of fun even tho im sick. i miss camping and hiking!
Another familiar face! I've got a great place in the Sierras, but snow might be too deep after our recent storms.

What are you sick with?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:26 PM  

san diego, california
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCarmody View Post
Another familiar face! I've got a great place in the Sierras, but snow might be too deep after our recent storms.

What are you sick with?
Hey scott lol looks like there will be a few of use in the drawing lol.

just a cold bug. norm it rains in SD and everyone gets sick. then when there fine again I get sick. just worried cause i have a 3 week old and i dont want her to get sick!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:24 AM  

Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
i have never been there this late in the season but you should check nps.gov/seki and you can find out with a few phone calls.

i bet the 180 is closed past hume lake by now.

Or if you're a die-hard jeep guy like me, you can find a 4x4 trail (farther south) and spend your vacation burning gas and showing mother nature who's boss!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:20 PM  

Crystal Bay, Nevada
The snow level is about 7300 feet, it was snowing when I left for work, but not sticking.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 PM  

Redding, CA
Also a must hike....The Trinity Alps. lots of hikes at different ability levels.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!