Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2011, 07:36 AM  

Kentucky
Oakland, Ca

I am thinking about moving to Oakland, Ca. Are there any people in or around the Oakland area that have any advice about Oakland, good or bad I would love to hear what you have to say about Oakland, Ca. Please include anything about Alameda, or the Fairfax area.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:25 PM  

Sammamish, WA
I worked downtown 17 years, and lived there 4-5. Coming from your area, you will be looking at a huge increase in the cost of living. Oakland has it's nice areas, but the bad ones are really bad, so you have to get really good advice before deciding where to live. Alameda is great, but even more expensive.

Fairfax area, in fact anything s of High St. I'd have stayed away from, though someone there now may comment that it has improved. We lived not that far from there of 35th just below McArthur.

Have you looked at San Leandro and Castro Valley?

Old 02-06-2011, 07:59 AM  

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I worked downtown 17 years, and lived there 4-5. Coming from your area, you will be looking at a huge increase in the cost of living. Oakland has it's nice areas, but the bad ones are really bad, so you have to get really good advice before deciding where to live. Alameda is great, but even more expensive.

Fairfax area, in fact anything s of High St. I'd have stayed away from, though someone there now may comment that it has improved. We lived not that far from there of 35th just below McArthur.

Have you looked at San Leandro and Castro Valley?
I didn't see any homes of interest in San Leandro or Castro Valley, I was looking at the corner of Fairfax Av. and Courtland Av., it is one block south of High st., would you think that area is a bad place to live. thanks for your input
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 AM  

Sammamish, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmerb View Post
I didn't see any homes of interest in San Leandro or Castro Valley, I was looking at the corner of Fairfax Av. and Courtland Av., it is one block south of High st., would you think that area is a bad place to live. thanks for your input
I wouldn't live there.

See for yourself. Lot's of assaults and thefts. This is just from the last week.
Oakland, Ca-untitled.jpg 

Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 AM  

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
I wouldn't live there.

See for yourself. Lot's of assaults and thefts. This is just from the last week.
I am sorry Bisjoe, but I am not sure what you are showing me, could you elaborate, please?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 AM  

I believe the symbols represent:

VT- Vehicle Theft
SA- Strongarm Robbery
Th- Theft
Va- Vehicular assault
Bu- Burglary
Ro- Robbery
AA- Armed assault
Dp- I am guessing but believe it is Domestic Violence/physical
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 AM  

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I believe the symbols represent:

VT- Vehicle Theft
SA- Strongarm Robbery
Th- Theft
Va- Vehicular assault
Bu- Burglary
Ro- Robbery
AA- Armed assault
Dp- I am guessing but believe it is Domestic Violence/physical
Thanks havasu, I feel bad for the people who live there, people should be able to live without fear of being harmed. I guess that that area is no place for me.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:35 AM  

Unfortunately, where there are no jobs, the thugs get their money from the honest, working people.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:04 AM  

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Unfortunately, where there are no jobs, the thugs get their money from the honest, working people.
That is a shame, I really wanted to move to California, I have wanted to live there my whole life, and now when it has become possible for me to move, maybe it is not meant to be.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM  

I know i would not live there. It would be a drastic change for you i would think

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!