Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2010, 03:44 PM  

Stanford, CA
Prop 19: How are you going to vote?

I haven't decided yet.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:43 PM  

Crescent city, CA
Well cisco, I'm in law enformcement and I can tell you that I am voting YES on 19. Personally I am tired of seeing billions of dollars that are wasted on enforcement, prosecution, and prison sentences for something that causes less deaths than alcohol. I hope it passes.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 PM  

Well, Steelheader, I just retired from law enforcement, and I'm not sold on this proposition, primarily because of this:

As of October 2010, even if the proposition is passed, the sale of marijuana will remain illegal under federal law via the Controlled Substances Act.

If we deviate from the federal laws, we stand to lose millions in federal funding.

And then there is this concern:

Potential increase in the costs of substance abuse programs due to speculated increase in usage of marijuana, possibly having the effect of reducing spending on mandatory treatment for some criminal offenders, or result in the redirection of these funds for other offenders.

The words in italics were copied word for word from Wikipedia.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:13 AM  

Stanford, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
As of October 2010, even if the proposition is passed, the sale of marijuana will remain illegal under federal law via the Controlled Substances Act.

If we deviate from the federal laws, we stand to lose millions in federal funding.
That's kind of a womanly way to look at things.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:19 AM  

No reason to bash. I would just like an explanation to what I'm reading.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:00 AM  

Wildomar, CA
I believe they are talking about a $50 tax per ounce sold but who in there right mind is going to pay that much tax on something that sells for $40 or $50 bucks already. This will legalize it in some ways but I think the people are still going to buy it from who they are now to get around the taxes. In the end I doubt they are going to get the tax money they think they are from this.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:34 PM  

bakersfield, ca
yes not because I like it but might as well make some tax money on it. I mean come on it is grown not made. Treat is like booze and cigs age limits.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:32 PM  

Turlock, California
I'm going to be voting yes. use tax dollars for real crime, gain tax revenue, courts will be less tied up with nonsense

I would like to add that I'm a non smoker, i actually kind of greatly dislike pot
Old 10-11-2010, 11:44 AM  

san diego, CA
In the big picture I'm not sure I care but voting no because I hate the whole process of getting propositions on the ballot and don't want to support it. Plus, CA already has more than its share of worthless and clueless idiots. No reason to create more.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 PM  

Sonora, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
In the big picture I'm not sure I care but voting no because I hate the whole process of getting propositions on the ballot and don't want to support it. Plus, CA already has more than its share of worthless and clueless idiots. No reason to create more.
Marijuana doesn't create worthless and clueless idiots. Bad parenting does. I know people who smoke it that are intelligent and hard working! Those that smoke it that are idiots, and lazy, would still be without it. I will be voting yes. For economic reasons and because it shouldn't have been made illegal in the first place.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > California
Bookmark this Page!