Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
...The concept lies in Hudson's Bay continuing to trend toward being ice free most of the year. Rail links would allow Midwest grain from both our countries to be shipped to Europe more cheaply than at present....
It's a doable concepts, but since I live along the existing seaway, I would have to vote against that

Old 09-10-2011, 05:13 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Austin, I think there are several takes on firearms in the US. The provision for a well regulated militia wasn't to overthrow our own government but rather to provide for a common defense against those pesky limeys.

I personally think this saying is true and wish it otherwise.

"In France the government fears the people but in the US the people fear the government".

If we had a revolution it would be a short one.The overarmed and under-witted types like the Michigan Militia were just a bunch of Archie Bunker types who couldn't even get along with each other. God help us if such dimwits ever held the reins of power.

Since our government controls media it would resemble Qaddafi controlled Libyan media, all lies 24/7. In the end nothing useful is likely except some Darwinian upgrades to our gene pool.
I do think peaceful change is completely possible but only if it's led by already trusted leadership with some experience.

We need to ban attorneys from holding office, nationalize problem areas but put that management into the hands of managers rather than politicians. Energy & Healthcare lead my list of what to change first. Utilities exist with controlled costs and profit margins so make Big Pharma, Hospital Corporations and Big Oil utilities with no more speculative markets.

Much of our legal system exists mostly for profit and that needs to end. You get hurt at work your company should cover actual costs, not make you a multi-millionaire as a reward.

If you're able bodied but out of work you should get a subsistence wage from working on all the overdue infrastructure repairs. An emphasis there should be on learning skills that could be used later in the regular workforce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Yes, yes and yes.
You both have a way with words, opposite ends of the spectrum I see.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:36 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
It's a doable concepts, but since I live along the existing seaway, I would have to vote against that
It's true the Seaway tolls would be hurt but in your position I'd need to compare those earnings with the potential economic gains for Canada as a whole.

we all hear "all politics is local", cheer for our local teams and love the Congressman who brings home the pork. That's a modern form of tribalism. It's no longer clan versus clan or Franks versus Saxons. We've progressed to large groups united by economics and cultures. The EU,OPEC, the United States and in the 40's Japan was seeking a "Greater Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere".
At least the intention to move from small competing groups to larger cooperative groups is a good thing in that we are united by our cultures which can then form cooperative relationships with other similar groups.

Canada for instance is NOT our hat but it darn well shares our culture just as we both share English Common Law as our legal base.

Ultimately the Bering Sea will be our way to export much of our bounty without leaving a huge carbon footprint. (Electric trains). This isn't a pie in the sky wish but rather the only option as the damage to our atmosphere forces us to prioritize survival over propaganda.
Ask a question about Canada-canada_topo2.jpg 

Old 09-11-2011, 06:09 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
You both have a way with words, opposite ends of the spectrum I see.
Opposite ends of the spectrum, perhaps, but I think we're on the same frequency.

Sorry for the abrupt yes yes response. I was getting ready to head out.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:11 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
....Ultimately the Bering Sea will be our way to export much of our bounty without leaving a huge carbon footprint...
Sort of a reverse migration?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Sort of a reverse migration?
I've even heard if our economy gets much worse our Mexicans will begin sneaking back across the border.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Opposite ends of the spectrum, perhaps, but I think we're on the same frequency.

Sorry for the abrupt yes yes response. I was getting ready to head out.
I understand.

Being in Texas you don't hear an ill word about firearms, I find it surprising when people ask me questions about my "love" of firearms or the American "fascination" with them.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Quote:
Being in Texas you don't hear an ill word about firearms,
We hear about Texas & Florida rather often.
States would benefit greatly by weeding out the nuts before they're armed.
Ask a question about Canada-executions.jpg 

Ask a question about Canada-8786.jpg 

Old 09-22-2011, 05:08 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
It's kind of strange that we are not as gun obsessed, given that fire arms played such a big role in the history of Canada and the opening up of the continent. You'd think we would be gun crazy, but it's very rare to hear gunshots in an urban setting up here. At least in this part of the country.

And that's not to say we are all unarmed. We have a great time blasting away with all sorts of guns out in the woods, but we try to keep it legal, civil and safe.

So let me ask a question. Why do you think that random gunfire is not a way of life up here?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:49 PM  

Shuswap, BC
The gun laws here are stupid.
They restrict anything and everything.
Basically you can only carry an unloaded rifle, no handguns, or smaller than a full sized rifle, and it must be to go hunting.
Heaven forbid you even keep a rifle, shotgun etc in your home loaded under the bed for protetion, its illegal.
It must be unloaded and locked in a safe.
And the ammo locked up somewhere else.
That is if you can get a lic to even have a rifle.

Basically only hardened criminals are armed, all aw abiding citizens are just their targets to shoot at and not allowed to defend yourself.

You are not even allowed a bullet proof window or car door here, its frigging illegal.
So if you do want to protect yourself the gov makes it impossible.
I guess you could take your shoe off and toss it at the person murdering you and your family though.
Just do not injure the shooter or the gov will charge you with injuring them most likely.

sigh

We should be allowed to pack what we want, when we want, how we want.
Sure I see restricting machine guns, uzzi's etc. but otherwise i should be allowed to carry a revolver, rifle etc.
And in my home keep a loaded gun under my bed if i wish to.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Bookmark this Page!