Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Canada girds for substantial military role in North Africa

HTML Code:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-girds-for-substantial-military-role-in-north-africa/article1925022/
Quote:
Canada is beefing up its military presence in the region around Libya, dispatching a patrol ship and special forces to prepare for more muscular evacuations that could evolve into major aid lifts or even a blockade to hem in the Gadhafi regime.
It marked a move to a more pointed role and a longer Canadian commitment to the Libyan crisis, as major powers also stepped up their presence. However, there was no consensus for a direct intervention such as enforcing a no-fly zone.

The United States is moving two amphibious warships and 400 Marines to the region, but senior generals warned that enforcing a no-fly zone would be dangerous and complex, and Russia opposed such a move.
With world leaders warning that Libya could face a protracted civil war, there were concerns that foreign military intervention could actually bolster the position of embattled Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi.
Although Libya?s opposition has until now insisted the world should not intervene with armed force, The New York Times reported that the nascent revolutionary council is debating whether to ask the West to intervene with air strikes under a United Nations banner.
Like the moves of U.S. forces, the dispatch of Canada?s frigate HMCS Charlottetown, which sails Wednesday from Halifax with 240 Canadian Forces personnel aboard, represents a commitment of weeks or months of military presence.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
We usually don't sit back and watch from the sidelines.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:10 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
We usually don't sit back and watch from the sidelines.
I've noticed that. During the Falkland's War I was heading to Canada on a fishing trip. In upstate New York while driving on a ridge two A10's popped up out of a gorge off to our right. I'd never even heard of an A10 but low & slow coupled with the Gatling gun gave away it's military specialty. I felt certain the UK had friends if the war went poorly.
Once settled in on our favorite island we would have forgotten about war were it not for our night visitors. I was counting stars by the fire when I noticed 3 bright stars heading our way. The "stars" were 3 Canadian military transports practicing flying low over water.

Don't cry for me Argentina..........................

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads