Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Train Travel in Canada

I've always wanted to travel cross country by train. Has anyone done it and did you enjoy it?

Any pictures or comments about the accommodations, the service, the food and the things to see along the way would be great.
Train Travel in Canada-via1.jpg 

Old 01-08-2011, 09:47 AM  

Kelowna, British Columbia
I've often wanted to, but the cost was about 3-4 times what it would be to fly. Way too rich for my blood.

I have taken a lot of local train tours through different areas instead. There is a beautiful 2-car train that runs from Victoria, BC, to Campbell River, BC, on Vancouver Island. I think the whole trip one-way is $40 and about 3 hours through some of the most beautiful scenery around.

Another classic is the old Kettle Valley Railway in Summerland, BC. They run an old steam-engine (that now runs on diesel, but still looks, smokes and whistles like an old steamer) through the old KVR tracks in the Okangan. About a 2 hour ride for less than $20 in authentic old rail gear.

I doubt I'll ever take the VIA from BC to Ontario for $1500 per person.........

Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'll have to look into some of those BC routes you posted.

I don't think 1500.00 is a lot for what you get. I know you can travel from Montreal to Vancouver for a bit over 2K, but that includes 4 nights on the train, 2 nights hotel in Vancouver, a Vancouver city tour by bus and a return flight to Montreal. Optional stopovers can be added in Jasper, Lake Louise and/or Banff.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:51 PM  

Fort McMurray, Alberta
have been thinking about this for many years too, I would love to see montreal, or the east coast, and I figure the train would be a neat way to get over there. A small group of people would have a blast I think, like a road trip on rail.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:06 PM  

Dresden, Ontario
I have always wanted to do that as well.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 PM  

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Everyone I've talked to that has done the Rocky Mountain Rail tours has been impressed with the service and the scenery.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 AM  
Keith

Thompson, Manitoba
I have always said I will take the train just so I don't have to drive and get to see some of the countryside. Maybe someday!!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:23 PM  

Nw, Ont
The Polar Bear Express is worth the price to see some unspoiled wilderness.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:16 AM  

There is also a wine and ride from Edmonton to Jasper Aswell that is supposed to be a nice ride.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 AM  

I think there is an old steam engine train with open car north of toronto. I think I will take my family this summer.
Other than the mini antique train at the park in Orillia...no for me, in Canada at least. But I would love to.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads