Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2010, 07:30 AM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Where have all the Canadians gone ?????

I was just wondering where have all us Canadians gone to? There seems to be a lack of participation going on here. Maybe we are shy? So lets make this a general or random discussion.

I am sure by now that most of you have heard on the news that here in Calgary we now have a new mayor electected here. The way that this fellow ran his campaign was quite interesting. By the use of social media, like facebook and twitter he seems to has reach and extrodinary amount of younger people to get his message across. Do you think that in the future more and more politicitans will be using this as a form of campaigning??

What about you, how often do you use a social media device? Me I use texting and facebook and different forums such as this one here. I would like to see your response to this or anyother thing that you just might like to chat about.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:00 PM  

Red Deer, Alberta
Media has always been a major factor.

"Ages ago", TV was the thing. Before that, radio. The old school techniques of shaking hands and kissing babies is still around, but not critical.

There is a need for a serious political version of a Facebook-like application.

I read forums a fair bit.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:35 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
I have always been interested (for lack of a better term) in technology, and the leaps and bounds that it has made over the past few decades. I find it simply amazing that the cell phone has become a multi media tool. I used to have one of those "brick" phones long long ago. lol
Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Go back and watch some of the original Star Trek episodes, and read some of the seminal science fiction stories of the mid-20th century. Many, many things that were in the realm of fiction back then are commonplace today.

I'm not sure it's a good thing. It seems to be turning a lot of people into namby-pamby, quasi-educated drones prepped for whatever brainwashing event or activity happens to be the scoop-du-jour.

When I go out in the bush I leave my cell phone at home. I don't even own a GPS and never want to.

I've sort of determined that I'm a ludite
Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 PM  

Calgary, Alberta
What I found interesting about the Calgary election, the guy who came from literally nowhere to take the top job, did it in about 3 weeks and didn't use any TV or billboards. He had a few lawn signs and as far as I saw no mail-outs or even newspaper or radio spots.

What he did use extensively was Twitter. Apparently all Twitters addressed to him were answered by him personally. When duplicate questions were posted, his volunteer's directed the person to a link to a previous answer. However all "new" questions were still routed to the candidate for his response. Pretty slick and darn efficient.

Anyhow he managed to sell my kids and they got on my case so I checked him out myself. Darned if I didn't vote for him.

I suspect TV, radio and newspaper political advertising is on the way out.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM  

Hamilton, Ontario
Funny thing about the elections... I dunno about in Alberta, but here in Hamilton (and Toronto, too) there were more people out voting. I have never voted in a civic election, but with my Tiger-Cats on the line, you bet I was going to vote the (unprintable) out of office.

Apparently, that was a large reason the incumbent was not re-elected.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:57 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Here in Alberta and particularly Calgary during the election, we had a voter turn out of aprox 53%. That is really good for this city. I am thinking it is the sameall across the country, people are getting tired of being promised all the good things and getting nothing in return. I am hoping our new Mayor listens to the people that put him where he is.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:39 PM  

Calgary, Alberta
We will see what comes of this. He knew what he was doing with social media though, and that will be the way of the future. I am not a betting man but I would put a lot on that.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 AM  

Ottawa, Ontario
I love technology!!
unfortunately the manufacturers and engineers design everything to be obsolete in a short amount of time! Example, 4 or 5 years ago I purchased a Dell Axim 51v pocket PC. it was cutting edge portable computing!
Now, we're already 4 generations into I-phones in less than a couple years! Same with laptops and computers and console video games.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM  

Fort Mcmurray, Alberta
I'm on Facebook everyday. I lost my iPhone once for a few days and it was torture. I'm dependent that's for sure.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > Global Forums > Canada
Bookmark this Page!