Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2010, 04:29 PM  

Chicago, IL
Bigger Chicago Celeb - Jordan or Capone

Who do you think makes Chicago more famous...Michael Jordon or Al Capone. Who is more iconic for the city? Why?

Old 12-15-2010, 04:37 PM  

Salt Lake City
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibernatepaths View Post
Who do you think makes Chicago more famous...Michael Jordon or Al Capone. Who is more iconic for the city? Why?
Jordan, cause whenever you tell anyone from any country you are from chicago the first response is ohhh michael jordan!. That is why.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:04 PM  

Chicago / Wood Dale, IL
Jordan during these times. He's still in the media and he's not out of our minds yet. I think Capone's days are over for being in the media until another Mob activity happens then they will bring Capone's name in just to compare old Mobsters to new Mobsters.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 PM  

worldwide I'd say Capone. I'll never forget when I was graduating from college and put my two weeks in at the place I worked. One of the guys in the kitchen, an immigrant with barely any english wanted to know where I was going. I said chicago and he yelled "oh - Al Capone brr brrr brr" and acted like he was machine gunning everyone. pretty funny

i doubt that guy has a clue who MJ is
Old 12-22-2010, 10:10 PM  

Chicago
^ x1. I had the same experience in Ohio several years back. Chicago will always be associated with Capone and gangsters. It's a much bigger part of the cities history on a worldwide level.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:20 PM  

My long dead aunt, who use to live in Chicago, always boasted that Capone was an old "softie at heart", and use to babysit her when he was in his late teens.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:49 AM  

Antioch, Il
Capone. I've traveled to Europe and told people that I'm from Chicago. They immediately do a scene from "The Untouchables" and start making Tommy Gun motions with their hands and go "rat, tat, tat."
Old 12-23-2010, 05:56 PM  

Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
My long dead aunt, who use to live in Chicago, always boasted that Capone was an old "softie at heart", and use to babysit her when he was in his late teens.
My wife's grandmother said the same thing about him. God rest her soul. He used to help her family out during the depression.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 AM  

Chicago, Illinois
Capone. All my out of town visitors wanna go see his grave, since it is a couple blocks from my house.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandalG View Post
My wife's grandmother said the same thing about him. God rest her soul. He used to help her family out during the depression.
I read that he started the soup kitchen only to get local sympathy during his tax evasion trail..

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads