Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2011, 11:23 PM  
island girl

Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
You understood that? I couldn't quite grasp what was being said there.
I'm assuming you were talking about this:

Quote:
They should write food with German names that remotely resembles German food, pasteurized German beer and Bavarian stile music.
Translation:

Quote:
They should have wrote "Food with German names that remotely resembles German food, pasteurized German beer, and Bavarian style music."
Better?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:55 AM  

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Just noticed you Hudsoner, you've got a nice little town on a great river. Stopped there to avoid going into the Twin Cities at night on my trip West.

I had time to drive around and grab some food at the bar of a motel I stayed in. Weird sounds all night but it didn't disturb me.

Growing up in MN left me unaccustomed to German food. 8 years in Milwaukee taught me mostly about Italian cuisine. When I did get to try some it was peasant fare from the Palatinate and not very appealing.
I'm assuming theres far better to be had in fine restaurants. Wet bottom shoo fly pie sucks.
While you were in Hudson, you missed out on one of the nine best German restaurants in the entire country (they got that reward last year).

It is the Winzerstube on 2nd Street (main street) in Hudson. It has a fine, but rustic appearance and the prices are very reasonable!

The Winzer Stube

Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 AM  

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
I'm assuming you were talking about this:

Translation:

Better?
My dear, if your German language ability will ever be as good as my command of the English language, we can correct each others mistake!

However, you seem to be part of the spelling police and that makes, of course, a difference!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I'm not obtuse. Really! I swear!!

But I still have no idea what this conversation is all about.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 AM  
island girl

Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
My dear, if your German language ability will ever be as good as my command of the English language, we can correct each others mistake!

However, you seem to be part of the spelling police and that makes, of course, a difference!
no... not at all... Mr. RiponredTJ was confused about something in this thread, i [wrongly] assumed it was your post, so i "translated" it by correcting your grammar (not spelling).
as far as my language ability... well, you got me... i speak a couple languages, understand a few more, but German is not one of them...
Old 04-29-2011, 04:40 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Juliana, you didn't wrongly assume anything. I still can't figure out what hudsoner was saying in that first post of his.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 AM  

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
Juliana, you didn't wrongly assume anything. I still can't figure out what hudsoner was saying in that first post of his.
Hudsoner was saying that the food in that restaurant has German names, but the actual dish is not exactly that what the name would suggest!

And the music is not really that German either, it is a little bit of the music that is played in southern Bavaria mainly for tourist events.

This restaurant is not the place where you can eat good German food!
Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Something finally clicked between my ears.
Why didn't you say that in the first place
Old 05-04-2011, 09:52 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
It is the Winzerstube on 2nd Street (main street) in Hudson. It has a fine, but rustic appearance and the prices are very reasonable!
I saw that, the spelling threw me but again I was living among 5 counties of German serfs more interested in quantity than quality. My cousin was the MPLS district attorney who lived not far on the St. Croix.

My parents are buried in the Twin Cities so I might get a taste of your Winzerstube. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:22 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
10 characters
Craving German Food-cwm-bychan-stile2.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Bookmark this Page!