Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2011, 10:03 AM  

Calling All Westsiders

Hello,

I?m a student at Xavier University. I am currently working on a project in which my group and I have to detail the West Side of Cincinnati. (It?s for the class Urban America.) To get a really wide range of perspectives on it, I figured I could ask people here what they think about the West Side. If you?re willing to help out, there are some questions below to answer. You don?t have to respond to them all: anything would be of assistance.

Also, we?re trying to get a wide variety of demographics, so it would be helpful if you were willing to provide your age and ethnicity.

1. Where did you grow up on the west side? How has it changed in that time?

1a. Or did you move there later in your life? If so, why?

2. What is your particular neighborhood like?

3. What is your favorite part of the west side?

4. Do you believe the west side has a certain culture to it? How so...?

5. What do you dislike most about the west side? How could it be improved?

6. Which side of Cincinnati is better and why?

7. Are people on the west side stereotyped in any way? How so...?

8. Is there anything else you?d like to add?

Thank you very much! I?m looking forward to seeing how you all respond.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM  
Administrator

Ohio
thanks

Thanks for posting this here. I hope you can get a better response than you did elsewhere.

White, female, age 50

1. Where did you grow up on the west side? How has it changed in that time?
Bridgetown. In the 70s and 80s, there were many subdivisions built, but that has stopped except for the occasional McMansion.

2. What is your particular neighborhood like?
I now live in Sayler Park. It's mixed racially and economically. There are huge mansions and apartments with Section 8 housing in the same block. There are a lot of empty bungalows and small ranches and apartments, and some of them are getting very run-down. Also, there always seems to be trash around.
But the trees around here are spectacular.

3. What is your favorite part of the west side?
My favorite places to go are Rave Western Hills Cinema, the Cabana restaurant in Sayler Park and Delhi Library.

4. Do you believe the west side has a certain culture to it? How so...?
I am pleading the fifth......

5. What do you dislike most about the west side? How could it be improved?
I would love to shop at more department stores. More importantly, every bookstore is gone: Waldenbooks, Northgate Borders, Northgate B Dalton and Media Play. I wish there was an antique mall. I hate that Danbarry Cinema Western Hills converted from second-run to first-run--I used to go there almost every week but I haven't been since last spring. I've seen a lot fewer movies this year.

6. Which side of Cincinnati is better and why?
No matter what the answer, it will be wrong. I think this is a silly question. It's like asking which is better, Saturn or Jupiter?

7. Are people on the west side stereotyped in any way? How so...?
Well, as you've noticed from the comments at city-data, we're fat, close-minded, inbred, too Catholic, too Republican, racist, homophobic.......and the houses are ugly.

8. Is there anything else you?d like to add?
I wish the sex ratio were more even. It's always been difficult meeting men here, because the women/men ratio is about 60/40.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:41 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
another place i miss

I was both shocked and dismayed when I learned last year that Front Porch Cafe by Phillipps Swim Club closed. That was the neatest little restaurant!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads