Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2010, 10:40 AM  

Denver, Colorado
Mountain Camping Rules

Are there rules and regulations regarding where and for how long you can camp in parks/Mountain areas?

Old 10-15-2010, 10:24 AM  

Denver, Colorado
I know that in the parks there definitely are, and each park is probably going to have its own rules regarding permits, reservations, durations, etc. Most of them will have designated campsites, even in the backcountry.

I'm not sure what the rules are if you're not in a state/national park. Did you have somewhere specific in mind?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:16 PM  

Boulder, Colorado
Wilderness areas also have strict specific rules. The least amount of rules are in the National Forests.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:10 AM  

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Every campground will have a different set of rules regarding time limits and cost, but Colorado does a nice job of making the campgrounds very nice and easily accessible. They also make the information you need very visible when you pay your fees. If memory serves, most limit the time limit to about 14 days, but I haven't camped in Colorado in a while, so it may have changed.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM  

Castle Rock, CO
I read somewhere that you are allowed to camp 14 out of every 28 days at one location. After you have exhausted your 14 days you have to move to a spot that is at least 25 miles away.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 PM  

Lafayette, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoroque View Post
I read somewhere that you are allowed to camp 14 out of every 28 days at one location. After you have exhausted your 14 days you have to move to a spot that is at least 25 miles away.
Yup, above is true, to keep folks from living full time in the forest.

Remember the earth hippies that invaded steamboat a few summers back? Did you ever see the before and after photos? The loved that area to death (you can still see the damage today).
Old 12-12-2010, 04:08 PM  

If I remember right. If your camping in non desinated campsites on forest service land you have to be atleast 100 ft away from any trial of stream.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:20 PM  

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Contact the Forrest service in charge of the area you wish to camp in because each district has different rules on how long you can stay and how close to the road you may camp.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:01 AM  

Indianapolis, IN
Leave only footprints and take only pictures... Lots of pictures.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM  

Oklahoma City, OK
I've been curious about this as well. Trying to get the wife and kid up there to do the Alpine Loop this summer, and was thinking how awesome it would be to skip the hotels and B&B's, and just camp along the trail.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado
Bookmark this Page!