Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2010, 12:31 PM  
Go Bucks!

Upper Arlington, OH
Best Of Columbus - Restaurants

I will try to get this added as a sticky, and maybe we can expand to other best of C-Bus categories - hotels, amusements, public golf courses, etc.??

For the restaurants, here is a list of some of my favorite eats/brew pubs around Columbus. Please feel free to add!

Rooster's - A great laid back family-style sports bar, plenty of TV's, and the BEST chicken wings (not necessarily the best sauces, but the biggest, meatiest wings ever!) Great appetizers, decent happy hour deals. Several locations around Columbus, though my favorite is at the corner of Reed RD & W. Henderson RD.

Barley's Smokehouse 1130 Dublin RD in Grandview - Barley's Splash Page - Award winning BBQ AND award winning micro-brew! A very long beer list, and a menu that would make any BBQ afficianado proud. There are two locations...the dublin rd location is more convenient with regards to parking, and the food seems better as well.

Thurman Cafe 183 Thurman Ave - The Thurman Cafe | Enjoy the Tastiest Burgers in Columbus, Ohio - As seen on the food channel! Be prepared for a 1.5-2 hour wait on the weekend around lunchtime, or be smart and go during the week...it only has a handful of tables (you might get quick service grabbing a seat at the bar). I will say, it is WORTH THE WAIT! Best burger I have ever had, all 3/4 lb burgers. I usually get the A1 Burger, add bacon, and onion rings. The Thurminator (their signature burger, and food channel feature) is gigantic: Bottom bun, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickle, banana peppers, 12 ounce burger, bacon, cheddar, another
12 oz burger, saut?ed mushrooms & onions, ham, mozzarella & American cheese, top bun. Good luck!

Old Bag of Nails Pub several locations around Columbus - : Welcome to the Old Bag of Nails Pub : - Solid menu all around, chicken bleu cheese potato skins are awesome, as well ass the fried pickles. French dip sandwich, reuben, and of course, they are famous for their fish n chips. Good atmosphere, family friendly, great service!

Brazenhead 1027 W. 5th Ave in Grandview - named after Dublin, Ireland's oldest public house, brazenhead has a killer menu, amazing happy hour, and a great patio during the spring/summer months, as well as a party room in the basement. My wife and I both love the Garlic Burger, and we always get an order of the Greek Fries. Yum!

Genos Pizza & Pasta 1277 Morse RD - I have never had their Pizza...or their pasta...but their "Pizza Nuggets," fresh rolled pizza dough with toppings in the center, are fantastic! The buffalo chicken and the cheese&garlic nuggets are my favorite, but they come in a variety of flavors. One order is plenty for two.

J. Liu Restaurant & Bar 50 W. Bridge St. in Dublin (there is also a location in Worthington) - JLiu Restaurant and Bar > Home - The menu is a little bit pricier than your typical establishment, but fantastic food. Blackened tilapia is great, lettuce rolls are very good. Good wine list, decent beer selection. This is a nice place to impress a date without completely breaking the bank.

Figlio Pizza 1369 Grandview Ave in Grandview (location on Riverside in Upper Arlington as well) - Figlio Pizza / Vino Vino Wine Bar - A very nice low key, upscale italian joint. Great wine list, pasta is fantastic (I LOVE the chicken diablo), and of course they are famous for their gourmet wood fired pizzas. This is another nice place to take a date. Want something a little more upbeat? Head across the street to...

The Grandview Cafe 1455 W. Third Ave at the corner of Grandview Ave in Grandview - Grandview Cafe - Good food, reasonably priced drinks, but we continue to go here for the AWESOME atmosphere. Live Music Friday's and Saturday's, karaoke on Sunday's. GC is two stories, with a bar on both floors, seating for diners on the first floor and on the first floor patio. Upstairs is the location of the music and a great time! Because of GC's popularity, they pay bigger bucks to book some very very good cover bands! Anytime Swagg plays is a good time!

Katzinger's Deli 475 S. Third Street in German Village - W E L C O M E ? T O ? K A T Z I N G E R S - This is a great place for lunch! The BEST sandwiches in Columbus, easily. Their corned beef reuben is ridiculously good!

Schmidt's Sausage Haus 240 E. Kossuth Street in German Village - Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant - TWICE featured on The Food Channel, once on Man V. Food, once on Best of Ohio! They have been around since 1886, so they have to be doing something right...everything on their menu from sausage to potatoe salad (YUM!), to deserts, to beer is great...combine that with a really fun atmosphere, and you've got a great family or date dinner!

Okay that's all I have for now, I'm getting lazy! feel free to message me or post here if you are looking for suggestions with regards to beer or food. Staci and I do a lot of eating out so I can give pretty good advice

OH...check out the winking lizard too - REALLY fun bar with pool tables, ski ball (thats right, ski ball!) basketball, plenty of tv's, and a 170+ beer list including a "mug of the month" and world beer tour club. Really really cool place! Corner of Bethel RD and Godown RD

Old 10-15-2010, 02:24 PM  

Columbus, Ohio
I would recomend Adriadicos Pizza down on Campus. A little spicy but very good.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:56 AM  

Columbus, Ohio
I worked at roosters, my aunt actually is a GM of two. So I tell you what, you want good wings that are for your buck. Go there.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:45 PM  

Bentonville, Arkansas
Haven't been in Columbus in a while but have fond memories of City BBQ. We try to get in there whenever we go up. Some of the best BBQ in the area
Old 10-17-2010, 03:04 AM  

sharana, afghanistan
shut up your making me hungary lol

BTW stuck for ya
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 AM  

Columbus, Ohio
No one has mentioned Catfish Biffs on Campus for pizza. WE AINT GOT NO FISH! good pizza
Old 10-26-2010, 09:50 PM  

zanesville, Ohio
Schmidt's Sausage Haus 240 E. Kossuth Street in German Village - Schmidt's Sausage Haus und Restaurant - TWICE featured on The Food Channel, once on Man V. Food, once on Best of Ohio! They have been around since 1886, so they have to be doing something right...everything on their menu from sausage to potatoe salad (YUM!), to deserts, to beer is great...combine that with a really fun atmosphere, and you've got a great family or date dinner!

Schmidt's is a awesome restaurant and will make you feel like you are in the old days of german villiage the brick streets and homes are all historic and really take you back. ALSO THE FOOD IS GREAT
Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 PM  

zanesville, Ohio
HOUND DOGS ON HIGH STREET! Hound dogs is a classic pizza shop that will make you feel comfortable if you never been to Columbus or a local. The place has a large menu for you to choose a different pizza for everyday for like two weeks. The place has a pool table in the back away from the tables. Also make sure to bring you magic markers and leave your jon hancock in the restroom or pool room!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 08:01 AM  
Go Bucks!

Upper Arlington, OH
Some good suggestions guys, I'll add some additional info to each:

Adriatico's Pizza 265 West 11th Ave On OSU campus -614-421-2300 -this is a very small restaurant, so we have always done it as take out, a good place if you need pizza for a lot of people. They have a full-sheet pizza that is GIGANTIC. The pepperonis are huge (one per square cut slice). Good stuff!

Hound Dog's Pizza 2657 N High ST at Dodrige, just north of OSU Campus - It's a fun atmosphere for the younger crowd/younger at heart - not really a family place, unless your young ones are into heavy metal, big black boots, tattoos and piercings If you're looking for somewhere for the family, take it as carry out and by all means, ORDER THE SMOKIN JOES STYLE CRUST!!!!!!! Also, they have three degrees of sauce: Regular, Spicy, and Howlin Hot for those of you that like a little kick.

Catfish Biff's Pizza and Subs 75 West 11th Ave near ADRIATICOS above - 614-421-7421 Catfish Biffs - I know nothing about this place, but 10-3-tj is endorsing it, and their menu looks very simple (my rule of thumb, especially with Pizza places: the simpler the menu, the better the food!)
Old 11-17-2010, 07:53 AM  

columbus, ohio
+1 on Adriatico's .....my favorite pizza in town.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Bookmark this Page!