Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM  

Hartford, Connecticut
Hartford, CT area Mountain Biking recommendations?

I'm looking for trails in and around Hartford that are mountain bike friendly. I was recently issued a citation for riding on the side walk, I see it all the time, whatever, now I need to find a place to go, or my bike is going to sit. Thanks for the help everyone.

John

Old 11-09-2010, 01:31 PM  

Farmington, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRman View Post
I'm looking for trails in and around Hartford that are mountain bike friendly. I was recently issued a citation for riding on the side walk, I see it all the time, whatever, now I need to find a place to go, or my bike is going to sit. Thanks for the help everyone.

John
You can go into the MDC parking lot on the west side of Avon Mountain. Trails from there can take you to the Heublien Tower. Accross the street from that aprking lot is a dirt lot where trails will take you around the reservoirs that go all the way down to Farmington. Check out bikerag.com for forums, trail maps and trail reviews.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:06 AM  

Hartford, CT
Gay City in Glastonbury is fantastic for mountain biking. Just enough hills to make it interesting, great nature and seclusion
Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 PM  

Monroe, Connecticut
i don't know about up in hartford, but the trumbull woods are fantastic and kinda famous. when i lived it mass, people were talking about it. you get there from the intersection of rt 25 and rt 111
Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 PM  
Parsimonious Curmudgeon

CT
+1 Gay City State Park, and the MDC property in West Hartford.

I'll also recommend the Hop River Rail Trail, it can be accessed in Bolton off of I-384/Rte. 6 at the Notch.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 AM  

Columbia, CT
Is the Hop River trail you mention the old rail line? If so, that's a nice long easy trail that goes all the way out to Willimantic. Starts out nice crushed gravel in Bolton and becomes rougher rail bed stones somewhere in Andover.

There's also some more advanced woodsy trails near the notch up and around the radio tower, with parking at the commuter lot on rt44 down the hill from the Exxon.

Also a similar rail trail is the Airline trail from Columbia to East Hampton, with a fork in Hebron that will take you to Colchester. It actually starts (or ends?) at a nice old rail bridge over the Willimantic river. Very close to where the Bolton one ends... its too bad they're not connected. Anyway last year they laid down new soft crushed stone on probably the majority of the Airline trail. Parking at any of the roads it crosses.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:52 PM  

Case Mountain in Manchester is very popular with Mountain Bikers.... Manchester even has their own Mountain Bike Search and Rescue Team.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM  

+2 for MDC Trails in West Hartford, probably the closest to hartford you will find
Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 AM  

Stratford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnegreiro View Post
i don't know about up in hartford, but the trumbull woods are fantastic and kinda famous. when i lived it mass, people were talking about it. you get there from the intersection of rt 25 and rt 111
Agree the Trumbull woods are excellent lots of fun and some crazy drops and water crossings if you dare.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Bookmark this Page!