Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2010, 11:45 AM  

Corpus Christi, Texas
Home brew kit recommendation?

Does anyone recommend a certain brand of brew kit for a first timer, besides Mr. Beer?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:31 PM  

i would suggest looking up your local home brew store and going and talking to them about initial setups, i started with the bucket setup and extracts, then progressed to all-grain with coolers for MT and HLT and now i have a a nice stand and make about 20 gallons a month

Old 12-21-2010, 12:32 PM  

Northern California
MoreBeer and other websites have starter kits, usually in 3-4 price ranges. Sometimes the stuff the kits include are not necessary, but do make certain tasks easier.

I prefer 6 gal. glass carboys with the carrier loop on the neck. The plastic buckets also work, but you can't see inside. The plastic buckets are better for dry-hopping, though.

The Essential Kit (IMO):
I would recommend two buckets with 3-piece fermentation locks, holed and solid stoppers for each bucket, 6' of 3/8" vinyl tubing for siphoning, a mid-range hand-capper (one of those things that need to be reliable and consistent), tape-on thermometers for the buckets and a long one for the boiling pot, a large metal heat-resistant plastic spoon, and two fine-mesh bags - one for steeping grain and the other for steeping hops. The boiling pot needs to be *at least* 5 gal. capacity for partial-boil brewing and 8 gallons for full-boil. You can do it all in one bucket, but I highly recommend transferring the beer after a week of fermentation to the second bucket (called "racking to secondary).

A five gallon batch makes about 50 12-oz bottles or 30 22-oz bottles. 12-oz bottles are more work, but easier to share with friends.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:53 AM  

Portland, CT
Most local homebrew supply stores have assembled kits that get you started. I also started with the two bucket extract setup and eventually moved on to all grain. There are several helpful videos out now that can help with the learning curve. Enjoy all the great beer you will make!!
Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 PM  

Connecticut
Brooklyn Brew Shop Brooklyn Brew Shop has some 1 gallon kits if you're just trying brewing out. Whole Foods in Milford and Westport are listed on their website as selling their kits.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 PM  

Danbury, ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlbeer
Does anyone recommend a certain brand of brew kit for a first timer, besides Mr. Beer?
Try heading to Maltose Express in Monroe Ct. They have kits but also have a ton of info to share and you will never feel pressured to buy there.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:48 PM  
Pip

Fairfield, CT
I've only ever done partial grain brewing but have done that several times. Maltose Express is indeed a good source of supplies and information. I did get my son one of the Brooklyn beer kits for Christmas (at Whole Foods Westport). It is a good way to get a taste for partial grain brewing without much expense.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 PM  

Trumbull, CT
+1 for Maltose Express
Old 01-05-2011, 01:21 PM  

Ansonia, Connecticut
Festa Brew (All Wort) is a nice way to start and Brewer's Best All Ingredient Kits
tony@wineandbeercellar.com

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Bookmark this Page!