Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 PM  

Roofs Collapsing in CT

I saw on the news that roofs all over Connecticut have been collapsing, has it happened to anyone here? My house has been making some moaning sounds, but it's an old house. How would you know if you r roof is about to give way? The thought scares me.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:25 AM  

Many roofs and houses get collapsed and many schools were even closed. But, now it is still raining there and even bit of snow fall is happening there.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 AM  

Columbia, CT
Moaning can be any number of things and can be completely normal. But it could also be a precursor to a collapse. It also may not make any noise at all until it's ready to give out. Tough to say without actually taking a look.

My response here is a bit late, but if we get another deluge and if the pitch on your roof is fairly shallow (less than 8" of rise per 12" horizontally... aka 8 pitch or 8-12 pitch or about 34 degree angle), you might consider clearing the roof with a roof rake (hopefully you can reach it!) or even shoveling it (but be VERY careful and, ideally, wear a harness... lots of injuries and deaths are caused by falling off of snow-covered roofs!). Try not to damage the shingles; they're more brittle in the cold and the adhesive is less effective.

Look in your top floor or attic for any sagging or cracking in the ceiling if it has sheetrock or similar, or if the rafters/joists are visible, again, look for sagging (cracking rafters/joists would be very bad and require immediate attention). If you're not sure, find a home inspector or even a friend of a friend with some civil/mechanical engineering or home-building background to take a look around. The roof isn't the only place you need to be concerned about damage... exterior walls are another problem area. Particularly under the sloped sides of the roof. Especially if there's any rot or termite damage. These walls hold up the roof. (Interior bearing walls do too, and while you shouldn't ignore them, they are more protected and less likely to be a problem.)

I've been raking my barn roof clear of snow (about a 5-12 pitch) because I'm not certain how much it can take. The rafters look great, but I know there's rot in the bearing walls. It has held up so far.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 AM  

collapsed roof

I had my garage roof collapse during the last storm of January. Darn thing took out my 1963 BMW motorcycle and sidecar.

The way the snow was plowed in front of the garage I have a 5 foot berm in front so, I wont be able to get to it until spring.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 AM  

Columbia, CT
Ouch!! Is the bike a complete loss? Insured I hope??? At least nobody was hurt (I hope), but a 63 BMW isn't exactly something you can go out and replace. That really sucks. My barn has all my toys in it, so I've put many hours into clearing the roof for extra insurance.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:38 AM  

I haven't been able to get into the garage because of all the snow in front of it. It was a detached building three and a half stalls.

Because of the age of the bike I'll have to check on the comprehensive. And as for the garage, the insurance co. is being stinky about paying off.

Nobody was hurt (yet) in the collapse and I have a couple of friends with the equipment to help rescue the bike in the spring.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:43 PM  

My uncles shed roof collapsed with his brand new leaf vacuum trailer in it.

Also a shed next my mothers house collapsed. Guys lawn mower is all covered in ice now.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:37 PM  

A bunch of barns in my town have collapsed

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads