Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 PM  

Farmington, CT
UCONN Alumni?

BA in History 1991 and a 4.5 year survivor of the "Jungle".

I'm a season ticket holder for UCONN football and a fanatic about all their sports.

Anyone else?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 AM  

Wethersfield, CT
Yep. I spent 6.5 of the most-fun years of my life there , 1988-1995, as a Landscape Architecture student. Lived in Crandall in South Campus during my first stint (since leveled, hadn't changed since my mother lived there in the mid-60's!) and Lafayette in Towers the second time around.

I'm considering getting ST for UC football. I'm currently a Patriots STH (for 17 years now) but it's getting to be an expensive proposition, both money-wise and time-wise. Rentschler is right across the river from me so it'd only be a 1/2 day investment for tailgating + the game rather than a full day. Considerably less money, too.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:04 PM  

Farmington, CT
It's a lot of fun, and UCONN football has come a long way. I used to show my Student ID at Memorial Stadium and get in free! They just haven't hit the big time yet as far as a fan base. People leave after halftime and even in close games, people are filing out late in the third quarter.

The tailgate restrictions are a lot tighter than other places, college or pro. The parking lot gates open 4 hours prior to kick-off and they kick you INTO the stadium right after kick-off. When there is a day game they will let you hang in the parking lot for two hours after the game, but at night you have to clear out immediately after the game ends. Still, all in all a good time.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:43 AM  

Wethersfield, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
It's a lot of fun, and UCONN football has come a long way. I used to show my Student ID at Memorial Stadium and get in free! They just haven't hit the big time yet as far as a fan base. People leave after halftime and even in close games, people are filing out late in the third quarter.

The tailgate restrictions are a lot tighter than other places, college or pro. The parking lot gates open 4 hours prior to kick-off and they kick you INTO the stadium right after kick-off. When there is a day game they will let you hang in the parking lot for two hours after the game, but at night you have to clear out immediately after the game ends. Still, all in all a good time.
When I was there you could get into the women's basketball games for free and they'd be lucky if there were 2,000 at a game! Many were probably there just to see the then-new Gampel.

I really don't understand the average CT sports fan. Show up late, leave early. Maybe it's that we just don't have the long-standing traditions that the big football schools have. But the same goes for the basketball, and there's been a good amount of success and history there.

And I agree completely with the tailgating aspect. Tailgating is a weekend-long even at many venues. Not here, though. Get 'em in, get their money and get them out seems to be the M.O.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 AM  

Farmington, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
When I was there you could get into the women's basketball games for free and they'd be lucky if there were 2,000 at a game! Many were probably there just to see the then-new Gampel.
No kidding! My roommate's girlfriend was a cheerleader for the girls team and we used to go watch her. There were more fans from the opposing team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
I really don't understand the average CT sports fan. Show up late, leave early. Maybe it's that we just don't have the long-standing traditions that the big football schools have. But the same goes for the basketball, and there's been a good amount of success and history there. :
That's a big part of it. We don't have the decades of tradition that other schools have. I lived in Morgantown, West Virginia for a couple years and the RV's would come in on Thursday for the games and leave on Monday! You're right about the hoops though. Not many stay to the very end unless it's close.

[
Old 11-16-2010, 03:02 PM  

Manchester, CT
Graduated in 2007. Lived in Towers, West, Alumni, and then off campus at Cedar Ridge.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:09 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
BA in History 1991 and a 4.5 year survivor of the "Jungle".

I'm a season ticket holder for UCONN football and a fanatic about all their sports.

Anyone else?
My son is one of the Jonathon mascots. We go to quite a few football games as well as men's and women's BB. He just brought home his women's championship ring. Awesome!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Connecticut
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads