Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2010, 01:50 PM  

Bayside, Texas
Gasoline made with corn

Gasoline made with corn?
Yes, best not to use it if you can avoid it but if you have to use this type of gasoline beware. The gass will seperate in time if left sitting in the tank of your boat, generator, tractor, or just about anything that runs on gas that sets for a period of time and you WILL have problems. It will gum up carburators and cause fuel pumps to stove up and not work it'll also deteriorate fuel hoses after a time.
Best thing to do is run ALL of the gas out or if your not going to do that pour some stabilizer in the tank. I recomend using "SEA FOAM" you can get it at Wal-Mart. Good Stuff Mainard.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 PM  

Austin, Texas
Its hard to find any gas stations that dosn't use some percentage of ethanol (corn gas) in their gas. I try to stay away from it because my jeep is 22 years old and carbureted but everywhere i look i find that there is up to 10% ethanol at every station.

I don't see the point of it really i mean it doesn't even have the same btu count as regular gas so you will actually get less mpgs and its not even that much cheaper.

Do you know of any stations that don't use ethanol? ive been looking out but havn't found any.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 PM  
annoyingly true

corpus christi, texas
Its not cheaper for us, its cheaper for the manufacturer to make and then they get the same asking price
Old 10-06-2010, 08:33 PM  

Corpus Christi, Texas
its not supposed to be a price thing. its supposed to "end our dependency on fossil fuels." the goal isnt to save the environment anymore cuz the economy is the main issue right now.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:11 PM  

Stephenville, Texas
That gas ruined my chain saw and Weed Eater .. But since I've been told to run the 93 grade gas and they'll live.. I was also told not to run it in the new fuel injected mowers and saws.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:34 AM  
annoyingly true

corpus christi, texas
hmmm, both my mower and weed eater are fine. other hten the new crappy weed eaters flywheels are plastic and the teeth break off. the cost of hte flywheel is the same as the whole weed eater
Old 11-01-2010, 10:29 PM  

Rockport, Texas
Ethanol is more expensive to make than gasoline on a per-volume basis. It is less energetic on a per-volume basis, too. If the oil companies had their way, they wouldn't add any of it. The law requires them to . Why? It's an example of what happens when moralists infect the legislature. "We must save the earth!" is just another form of busybody moralism, after all.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 AM  

Trent, Texas
Gasoline made from corn

And besides not producing as much energy as gasoline and being more expensive, it makes food cost more and will damage your engine if you are stupid enough to use it and don't have an engine designed for ethinol. Now using veggie oils mixed with diesel is a GREAT idea, but something has to be found that isn't food and grows wild. I wish the idea of alge would catch on and was cheap to grow, I mean it does grow wild.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 AM  

Trent, Texas
looking for gas without Ethanol

Out here in west Texas on I-20 west of Abilene there are at least two different stations, owned by the same people, that have big bannors proclaiming no ethanol
Old 11-02-2010, 11:33 AM  

St. Louis, Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachedjeep View Post
Its hard to find any gas stations that dosn't use some percentage of ethanol (corn gas) in their gas. I try to stay away from it because my jeep is 22 years old and carbureted but everywhere i look i find that there is up to 10% ethanol at every station.

I don't see the point of it really i mean it doesn't even have the same btu count as regular gas so you will actually get less mpgs and its not even that much cheaper.

Do you know of any stations that don't use ethanol? ive been looking out but havn't found any.
Gas with 10% Ethanol made from corn has been around for at least 35 years. I tried it in the early W's when living in Iowa. I had a new car. It just stopped dead and had to be towed in. The mechanic said not to use gas with ethanol. It does gum up carburetors if they are not adjusted to use it. I think newer cars have found a way around the problem. I still don't think it is recommended for small gas engines with conventional carburetors. I also don't think it is recommended for any two-cycle gas engines.

It costs more too. It may be cleaner to burn on the highway but it takes more energy to produce so it is not really saving any resources.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads