Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Denver
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 PM  

Golden, CO
Frankly, I love the area. We live in Golden, just west of Denver and home of Coors Beer. Golden has the atmosphere of a small suburb or even small town, but I can be in downtown Denver in 20-25 minutes.

The weather is just what has already been stated. The foothills are right beyond my back yard I can be at 10,000 ft altitude in minutes.

Yes, there are illegals around, but I only see them when they are mowing the neighbors lawn or behind the counter at the fast food joint. We have had our share of vehicle accidents, but none have included illegals. In fact, my wife had her car rear-ended by an Anglo. I have totaled 2 motorcycles all by myself.

Most of the Hispanics I interact with are the old, long-term residents who come from families who were in Colorado Territory before Europeans arrived. Then, again, the people I deal with daily tend to be pretty highly educated. The long-term resident Hispanics tend to be strongly assimilated, something that cannot be said about the illegals or even the recent legals.

In my neighborhood, made of homes that were built in the 1959-62 period, the people are friendly, but reserved. I haven't lived anywhere in the last 35 years that have that "neighborhood" feeling that I remember when growing up. Kids grow up and don't stay in the area. Home turnover can be pretty high, so families don't spend decades with other families in the same neighborhood. Still, we have Thanksgiving dinner with the same neighbor family for the last 20 years. My family still checks in almost daily on the elderly couple across the street. My wife works in Denver and I find it friendly, if not outgoing. Most people in downtown Denver are there to shop or work and then go home, so it doesn't have the little town feel.

Good luck to you.

Ron

Old 11-17-2010, 11:32 AM  

Lakewood, Colorado
Weather's great. Always mild winters except for 3 storms that dump a foot that melts in 3 or 4 days. Can't recommend the suburbs enough. Commuting along 6th Ave. from Lakewood is always convenient, and points directly to the hills. Red Rocks, the foothills and enough trails and parks to explore in any 15 minute drive, not to mention you have every outdoor activity you can imagine in any season in less than an hour's drive. Awesome microbrews and pubs to visit. What else can you ask?

Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 AM  

Denver, CO
Well, I'm a native (3rd generation), so I'm a little biased. I've watched Denver grow from a cowtown with a tiny downtown to a sports-crazy, cultured, beer haven of a town.

I lived in LA for a couple years for grad school, and couldn't get back here fast enough. I used to travel a lot for my job, and never found a place I liked better. The lifestyle is laid back, low stress, and relaxed.

Great place to live - you wouldn't regret moving here.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 AM  

georgetown, colorado
too many people, stay out. NO VACANCY

lol
Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 AM  

Houston, TX
man i am in love with denver area. i'm in houston texas, been here 20 years, and my wife and I want to move really bad, but she's just not sold on colorado! we just went last weekend to check out real estate in broomfield and longmont, and last couple nights been checking out castle rock and parker.. i think she's slowly being convinced. I love being outside (and weather that accommodates this), and I love beer. it seems there is no better place to be. I am so sick and tired of 5 months of 95+ weather with 90% humidity, and no fall or spring. I can't go outsie for 3 months straight w/o sweating my ass off and having to make sure and drink plenty of water and stay in the shade. what a waste of summer.

anyway, I hope to join the state. we're planning at starting to look for job/sell house in june of 2012, i hope CO is the destination. the other big thing that helps a lot is my dad's 4 sisters (and their families) live in denver area. so it would make it so easy for us. wife knows two of them well, and we always have a great time with them. one uncle is huge into homebrewing, as am I, so that's just a bonus.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Denver
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.