Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Denver
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 11:46 PM  

Denver, Colorado
How fast do you have to be going before the police take your car or license?

I'm not planning on having it happen, really. I just want to have an idea how fast I want to NEVER go.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:57 AM  

Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
First off, the police can not "take your car or license". They can only cite you and it is the courts to decree confiscation of the vehicle or suspension of license upon conviction. Legally, in a 65 mph zone, if you are going 66 the LEO can pull you over and issue a citation. A reckless driving stop, i.e., 20+ over the posted speed limit, will probably result in arrest and likely subsequent suspension of driving priviledges.

So, never go over the speed limit and you'll always be in good stead with the LEOs. The other road users that don't abide by that creed may not be too happy with you, though.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:00 PM  

Sammamish, WA
There are other reasons you can go to jail, besides speeding. For example, burning rubber at a green light can be called reckless driving or exhibition of speed and in some cities it's not a ticket but jail.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:00 PM  

Denver, Colorado
I found out first hand some years back. Picked up a Ducati 999 and the ignorant bug bit me bad. 147 MPH in a 70, excessive accelleration, wreckless driving and something else. Would have been fine if I wouldn't have ran out of gas. Needless to say, the bike was impouned, I was impounded and I almost lost my license. Let's see, $600 for lawyer, $225 to get bike back and my $550 bond fee.

Just don't speed.

Giz
Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 PM  

In California, travelling in excess of 100 MPH, exhibition of speed, reckless driving (3 moving violations), speed contest (racing), and driving wrong way on a divided highway are just some of the offenses which are misdemeanors, and are arrestable violations and your vehicle would be impounded, and your license can be suspended.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
On Oahu going anywhere on the island over 80mph is considered a felony, and they can destroy you if you're caught. License, car, etc etc etc

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-01-2010, 11:38 PM  

With the traffic over there, is it even possible? I guess H-2 at 3 AM would allow it though.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:10 PM  

Littleton, CO
Uh, you're in Colorado. Everyone speeds here. True that 20+ is most likely going to cause issues. Most local or CSP won't pull you over for under 5MPH over. I try not to push it though.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM  

Denver, CO
Get a good radar detector and don't go crazy. Keep it to the speedlimit in town.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:30 AM  

Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by loydering View Post
Uh, you're in Colorado. Everyone speeds here. True that 20+ is most likely going to cause issues. Most local or CSP won't pull you over for under 5MPH over. I try not to push it though.
Last week I was driving up I-25 and the overhead annuciator board read (something like) "75mph means 75mph - no exceptions". Majority of the traffic was doing about 80 at the time. I guess they can only pull over those they can catch up with.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Colorado > Denver
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads