Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 AM  

Underwood, Iowa
Micro Breweries in Des Moines?

I'm going to be in Des Moines on Sunday. I'll have a few hours to waste, so thought maybe I'd find a local Micro Brew. Anybody know of any?

Old 11-18-2010, 11:42 AM  

Iowa/ Georgia
IMO, Id skip the Micro's and go to either the Royal Mile or El Bait Shop, but if you're set on a micro do Court Ave Brewery over Racoon

Old 11-19-2010, 12:13 PM  

Coralville, IA
I'd actually skip the Des Moines breweries and go north up 35 about half an hour and go to Olde Main in Ames
Old 11-20-2010, 06:39 AM  
Moe

Des Moines, Iowa
If you must stay in Des Moines, I agree with previous poster to hit Court over Racoon River. If you have a little more time and transportaion, Olde Main in Ames is better yet. And though i've not been there, if you can squeeze extra time, Peace Tree Brewing in Knoxville is supposed to be quite fun. Their a small Micro Brewery that use theri 4-5 typical brews on tap, but they do alot of experime4ntation, and these experiments are on tap in their tap room. They don't sertve food, but allow you to bring food in from town restaurants, and I here many local restaurants will deliver to the tap room,,,,,,,,, Now I want to go down there this weekend ;-)

Another non-microbrewery (downtlown in same area as Court) is the Hessan House. Alot of German beers and german inspired food.

-Moe
Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 PM  

Coralville, IA
+1 on Olde Main and Court
Old 11-20-2010, 07:53 PM  

Coralville, IA
There's also a Rock Bottom and Granite City if you're into that...
Old 11-22-2010, 03:39 PM  

Clinton, IA
-1 on Old Main

Maybe they have good food there, I don't know. But as a huge beer nerd, their beer makes me sad and embarrassed for them.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 PM  

Washington, Iowa
Has anyone went to the Hub city brewery?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:32 PM  

You really can't go wrong with Court Ave or Raccoon River. If you like Belgium style beers, Court ave usually has a couple. There is a Rock Bottom out in West Des Moines but the service always sucks. Granite City is also in West Des Moines but not your traditional brewery as the wort is trucked in. They just ferment the beer at the restaurant. Beer is ok. I wouldn't recommend driving out of your way to Olde Main. Their beer just isn't worth it.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 AM  

Iowa/ Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashiba View Post
-1 on Old Main

Maybe they have good food there, I don't know. But as a huge beer nerd, their beer makes me sad and embarrassed for them.
x2, IMO their beer is terrible.

Peacetree in Knoxville, is an awesome little place with great beer, just a little far from Des Moines. And they're only open Thrus-Sunday.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
Bookmark this Page!