Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > District of Columbia
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM  

Arlington, VA
Saying that the traffic is horrible is an understatement but other things make up for it. I would say for general advice: find a neighborhood in VA/MD on the Red, Orange, or Blue line (Metro) and bounce around for a while while your lady interns. If you end up hating it, move back to TX. Ive been here for 5 years and enjoy it but it is quite expensive.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 PM  
Howdy-Ho

Washington, DC
I grew up here and have lived all over the world and I think DC is an amazingly friendly place, that being said there are areas I probably wouldn't walk around at 2 in the morning. But there really is no reason for you to be in the areas in the first place.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:56 PM  

Washington, DC, District of Columbia
NYC transplant enjoying DC

I came to DC for grad school after serving in the Peace Corps, and I've been here for 6 years total. I'm very happy here. I'm too much of a city boy to ever live in the suburbs, but DC has the best of both worlds. I own a townhouse with a backyard and a basement, which for a NYC boy is a luxury. It's great here--there are lots of creative, smart, good people. People don't come to DC to make money, but to work on what they're passionate about. I may not be here forever, but it's a lovely place to be.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM  

Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
My wife just graduated, and was offered a job in DC. She was told that they could fly her up there, and let her work for a while and see how it suits her, while she's doing her internship, but ultimately we would have to move. First question is, I have heard horrible things about DC. Especially the suburbs. Second what's the general attitude. I'm in Dallas, and Texas is just friendly. Is DC the same way? Everyone I have talked to says it's a great place to visit, but not a great place to live. Do any of you find that true?
I've been here 4 years, live in Alexandria.

I've also lived in Houston for 1 year.

People here are much ruder, you won't get that same southern hospitality you are accustomed to. The weather is a lot colder than you are used to too (you texans whine about 60's). The traffic is a nightmare, so live near the metro if you can.

That being said, I love this city, I love living here. There is nothing quite like driving past the Capital building on my way to work and saying America F YEAH, I live in the capital of the free world.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:37 PM  

Washington DC, DC
Jaguar, I've lived in both VA and DC. DC for the last 6 years and I wish I'd moved into the city sooner. Living in the District, in my mind, is preferable to either the MD or VA suburbs. Lots of folks mentioned traffic, which is a non-factor if you aren't commuting, etc.

If you have specific questions about the area (different neighborhoods downtown), feel free to PM me.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:59 PM  

MD
I saw it mentioned early but if you do make the move I would definitely live in VA and not MD or the District for tax and gun laws. So much to see and do in the area though. All that said I sure a fan of Fort Worth!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:09 PM  

Washington, DC
I absolutely love DC, and I wish I still lived in the city. I live right outside in Old Town Alexandria, which is also an awesome area.

I think with DC, it's all what you make of it (I guess that goes for any city, really). Traffic sucks if you're trying to commute in for a 9 to 5, but if you're in the city it's not really that bad. I think you'll find rent/property prices to be astronomical compared to Texas, so you'll have to account for that in your move. The food here is awesome, and you can find pretty much anything you're looking for.

As with any big city, crime can be an issue, but it's not the Wild West up here. Just do your research and be smart.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 PM  

Washington, DC
Get a bike and avoid the traffic.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:47 PM  

Southern MD, Maryland
work in..live out

i was born in DC and still work intown for 35 years. love the city, but like most, i commute from MD. DC and surrounding area has any thing you could be looking for, cultural, ethnic, food, bars etc....
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 PM  

DC, DC
Old town alexandria has a lot to offer -- prices to match, too, I'm sure.

Much different than dallas, but lots to offer.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > District of Columbia
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads