Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 PM  

Anyone been to the OHV Park in Gilbert?

Have you been there? I'd be interested in your experience.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:42 PM  

Duluth, MN
I also am curious about over there.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 AM  

I went there for the first time last spring shortly after purchasing my Jeep. I had so much fun that I went back a few weeks later. I am looking forward to going back again this year, hopefully several times.

There is some basic information about the park on the DNR website along with a map of the park.

OHV Trail Detail: Minnesota DNR

You have to have your vehicle registered as an off-road vehicle. Real easy to do at the license bureau. If I recall correctly it cost about $45 and the registration is good for 3 years.

As far as the park is concerned, there is no admission fee (just the above registration requirement). Just check in when you arrive and always make sure to check out when done. That way they know that everyone is out of the park and not broke down somewhere. They will do a quick vehicle inspection if it is your first visit for the year, mainly checking that the sound level of your muffler is below a certain threshold. (The inspection took about 45 seconds). They will put a small sticker on your vehicle (if you want them to) that says that your vehicle was inspected and then on subsequent visits you don't have to go through the inspection.

There are trails for every experience level. Some are just like minimum maintenance roads and some are full-on rock crawls where you will need a modified vehicle to get through. Some of the trails go up on top of the large piles of tailings and there are some good views up there. The difficulty level of the trails is listed on the map and most of the trails are marked pretty well with signs.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM  

South St. Paul, Minnesota
I have been there about 10 times over the years. It is a blast. Honestly it is one of the best places to go wheeling in the country. All sorts of different terrain and trail conditions. It doesn't matter if you drive a stock Suzuki Samurai or a fully modified rock buggy, you will have fun.

Camping is nearby with a trail connecting the park to the campground if that interests you. Also there are restaurants and bars in town and shopping nearby too.

I plan to go a few times this year!
Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM  
Lost in Minnesota

St. Paul, Minnesota
I would love to get up there with my TJ
I just need to talk a friend into heading up there from the cities, a buddy of mine has a TJ also.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Minnesota > Duluth
Bookmark this Page!