Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2011, 06:49 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I just kind of figured out that I love working on computers and I love building networks.

I did all sorts of stuff as a teenage. 4 years of autoshop, farm/ ranch work, I did truck tires for a while. I knew I was good with my hands. Then I went in the Army and well who doesn't dream of running heavy equipment Moving tons of earth with a few touches of the fingers and toes. So I did that for a while. Then decided I wanted something else. So I tried my hand at being a Vet Tech. Loved that job but, hated teh people I had to deal with every day.

I got out of the Army and went back to running heavy equipment. Decided while it was fun it bored me to tears driving in circles all day long getting my kidneys and liver pounded to death. The company I worked for was a good ol' boys club. There was one guy on the crew that could do what every he wanted he wouldn't show up for two weeks at a time and nothing. His excuse "I was deer hunting".. I showed up 10 minutes late due to a traffic accident he threatened to fire me. After that and seeing how the crew other than me treated a new guy from Ghana. They treated him like dirt, called him the N work made him do crap they wouldn't make a dog do. One day I was going down hil in a scraper doing about 45 mph, the scraper didn't have back breaks because breaks are for stopping and we shouldn't be stopping is what I was told. I could not slow downand the loaded scraper had to move out of the way. It was either go straight and make him go up and out of the way on a small bump or turn to the left hit the brand new sewer pipe destroy it wreak the scraper and die. Well I made him move. They fired me for it.

Then I went to work at Home Depot because I figured I would work and go to school. They said if you want to work part time you have to work every single weekend. I said hum NO i have a family and I need 2 weekends a month off. NO was the answer so I ended up quitting and leaving. I became a stay at home dad and student working on 2 degrees an AAS in IT and an AS in IT with a specialization in Network Engineering.

After graduating I started the job hunting. Lucky for me there are more IT jobs in my area than just about any other job. The bad thing 90% of them want a BA in computer science and 5 years. Then I found it the one IT job that gave me tons of time with my kids and room go grow and move up.

I wouldn't change anything I did to get where I am at today.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:58 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
That last thing you said is oh so important, and I'm very happy for you that you feel that way! I think that the key is just being happy at your job. I love the Marine Corps, so I deal with a lot of the BS that happens every day. Like you, I wouldn't change a thing at all if I could. However, what I'm nervous about is when I get out!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-08-2011, 06:05 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Start planning for it now Jake. You need to identify what you really like the best in life, and then look for something that will allow you to enjoy that aspect of it to the max.

You like fishing? Start learning how to tie flies and market them.
You like music? Look at opening a second hand music shop.
You like reading? Look at a second hand book shop/eBay store.
Sex shops always do a brisk business

The possibilities are unlimited. but it's all about finding a niche that lets you profit from and enjoy your hobbies. And don't forget that a few small businesses can add up to major income if they are successful with a lot less headaches and investment (aka risk) than a franchise, since it's you writing the rules.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
That's me completely. I absolutely know that I Want to start and run my own business/businesses. However, the thing is that I'm very much a jack-of-all-trades. I've got degrees in very different areas (Journalism, Korean Linguistics, and working on Business), and I enjoy just about everything. One thing I'm very passionate about is physical fitness, but I feel like a small fitness store would be a very hard thing to hit right...

I've always wanted to go into restauranteering, but I feel like so has tens of thousands of other people, and they've failed.

I'm fully confident in my abilities, but the prospect of possibly failing still haunts me, just like it does every other human being! In the end, I'm sure I'll make the leap, I'm just trying to decide what to make my first leap onto...

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 10-22-2011, 11:03 PM  

went to school for business...want to be my own boss, but have not had a "realization" yet
Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Went to school for medical got a degree in business never figured out what I wanted to do and ended up a telecom contractor in the state of California. What a ride!!!!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:45 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Decided I didn't need college and I was right. Started 2 businesses and made a living with them for 40 years. And enjoyed it, which is important.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:57 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I think samfloor hit the nail on the head!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
knew as a child

I knew as a child that I wanted to write when I grew up. I was partly influenced by (go ahead and laugh) Richard Thomas as John-Boy Walton. I always liked his character.
I studied journalism in college and worked for a weekly newspaper for 17 years. It was at the paper that I discovered that I was a better editor than writer. Now I work for the public relations department of a local hospital.
I have a bachelor's degree in mass communications from Northern Kentucky University. I believe it is still offered as a degree, but it is far less popular because you can't make a living as a news writer any more. If I were a new college graduate now, I would be one of the Occupy group. Many people are very contemptuous of liberal arts degrees nowadays. (That's a topic in itself which I won't go into now.)
But....
Yesterday at work one of the young healthcare employees came up to me and asked me what my degree was in. She told me she was studying nursing and had realized she couldn't handle the grosser physical aspects of it. She wanted to switch careers and study communications and get a job like mine!
I don't know if such a job will exist in the future. I hope it does. But I was very flattered that she admired what I did!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:22 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I think good communicators will always be in high demand, but only the cream of the crop will find meaningful employment.

There are way too many people that think a degree qualifies them for an automatic ticket to the good life, but the world does not work like that.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Education
Bookmark this Page!