Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > El Paso
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 AM  

El Paso, TX
Common handgun calibers

I am tired of seeing ads for the 45ACP, 9mm, and the 40 S&W (short and weak) pistols in almost all gun magazines that are currently printing. Why people think that these guns are the best in the smorgasbord of handgun calibers is beyond my comprehension. Any one that has had confrontations with humans will abide that the 357 magnum, 357 Sig, 10mm, are much better at defending one's life, no matter what the recoil is. when one's life is in danger, the most important attribute that one can have is hitting the target where it counts especially at a distance of 25m or greater. Pistols with rifle cartridge characteristics are the most protective guns that a human can have. Police members in Juarez, Mexico have found that their little toy guns are no match to a carbine or rifle that the opposition uses. The old statistic that most crimes have been committed with a 22 caliber handgun shows the uselessness of the beginning mentioned calibers. Instead of forcing pistols designed for revolvers, manufacturers should come with a similar cartridge that works well in pistols, such as the 357 Sig. Manufacturers also need to extend their product barrels such as the 327 Federal, even though the guns might be hard to carry in a concealed manner.

Guadalupe Lujan

Old 07-19-2011, 08:58 AM  

I'd like to debate this with you. If you are needing to shoot someone at 25 meters, this is not a defensive tactic but merely a sniper situation. Most defensive shootings involving law enforcement in America occur between 7-11 feet, or roughly 2-3 meters. I agree, it would be nice to have a multitude of various weapons strapped to me so I could select the correct weapon for the correct firefight, but we are humans, not Robocops.

If there ever was a duel between you with your .357 six-shooter wheel gun, and another person with a .40 Glock semi-auto handgun with 15+1 rounds at their side, no offense, but I'll place my money on the Glock holder.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I'd like to debate this with you. If you are needing to shoot someone at 25 meters, this is not a defensive tactic but merely a sniper situation. Most defensive shootings involving law enforcement in America occur between 7-11 feet, or roughly 2-3 meters. I agree, it would be nice to have a multitude of various weapons strapped to me so I could select the correct weapon for the correct firefight, but we are humans, not Robocops.

If there ever was a duel between you with your .357 six-shooter wheel gun, and another person with a .40 Glock semi-auto handgun with 15+1 rounds at their side, no offense, but I'll place my money on the Glock holder.
Second that.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
That is one of the worst arguments I have ever heard JCP. A .357 have good stopping power but are super inaccurate. Plus like havasu said you have less rounds and a dramatically increased reloading time. And well some of the 9mm .40 and .45 barrels are short their are also many models with longer barrels. It is all user preference. And saying that other cals are useless against a .22.... WTF? If you wanted stopping power and penetration you get a 7mm or a 5mm not a 22.

.357 are cool for the movies or a side arm when hunting big game but absolutely useless in a fire fight. Between the recoil, reload time, price of ammo, and weight a .357 is not better then carrying a 9mm, .40, .45. Put a .45 in my hands and I can put a target down faster then you could with a .357.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:38 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcplacencia View Post
I am tired of seeing ads for the 45ACP, 9mm, and the 40 S&W (short and weak) pistols in almost all gun magazines that are currently printing. Why people think that these guns are the best in the smorgasbord of handgun calibers is beyond my comprehension. Any one that has had confrontations with humans will abide that the 357 magnum, 357 Sig, 10mm, are much better at defending one's life, no matter what the recoil is. when one's life is in danger, the most important attribute that one can have is hitting the target where it counts especially at a distance of 25m or greater. Pistols with rifle cartridge characteristics are the most protective guns that a human can have. Police members in Juarez, Mexico have found that their little toy guns are no match to a carbine or rifle that the opposition uses. The old statistic that most crimes have been committed with a 22 caliber handgun shows the uselessness of the beginning mentioned calibers. Instead of forcing pistols designed for revolvers, manufacturers should come with a similar cartridge that works well in pistols, such as the 357 Sig. Manufacturers also need to extend their product barrels such as the 327 Federal, even though the guns might be hard to carry in a concealed manner.

Guadalupe Lujan
Ads aren't the epitome of truth, they are probably pushing the rounds with the highest profit margin.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:42 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Any one that has had confrontations with humans will abide that the 357 magnum, 357 Sig, 10mm, are much better at defending one's life, no matter what the recoil is. when one's life is in danger, the most important attribute that one can have is hitting the target where it counts especially at a distance of 25m or greater.
Most shooting are under 20 feet. 75 feet might get you looked at by the cops for shooting rather than fleeing.
A .45 will put you on your butt but I've found the best deterrent is an empty sawed off double barreled shotgun. No one ever asked if it was loaded.

The Tucson shooter demonstrated the effectiveness of a big mag of .9mm and I prefer it because I'm a very good shot.

First rule is avoidance, the 2nd is active deterrence and the last is shoot someone. My Beretta has a Crimson Trace red dot laser which has been low to the right for the last 6 years. No biggie, the moment someone see's a dot on their nose they get the point.

At 75 feet I hit more soda cans than I miss but I don't expect to need that range.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:26 PM  
I Sank Your Battleship

Tucson, Arrenizona
I am a long range shooter. But I am also very skilled with pistols.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 AM  

El Paso, TX
Let me tell U this. If I am going to shoot at someone at 10m, I will take my single shot 357 mag with a teflon coated and explosive bullet over your 40Short & Weak and 100 round mag anytime!!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:35 AM  

El Paso, TX
I meant to say that at last that I heard, more people have been killed with a 22LR than any other caliber. I am not sure about the accuracy of the 357 mag. I will have to review this. Yes I can see the disadvantages of a revolver. In that case I would like manufacturers to build a 10mm, 357 Sig, or 327 Federal with a 6" to 8" barrel in a pistol.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 AM  

El Paso, TX
At least U recoginize that at a distance over 25m a handgun is starting to become useless. A 20gauge or 12 gauge slug barrel shotgun will do the job better. I just wish they would make a 3 1/2" chamber for the 20 gauge.

El Respeto al Derecho Ajeno es la Paz

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Texas > El Paso
Bookmark this Page!