Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Employment / Jobs
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
Don't move to Canada unless you;re in the oil industry. I did and jobs are hard to come by up here. I got lucky in the end but I had to totally switch career paths to do it.
Wow, good to know. I'm a Canadian living in the states, and I often think about moving back. I guess I'll have to wait until I retire.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:15 AM  
Dimensional Flux

Groinsboro, Tarheel
Greetings,

MY line of work has been buggered due to the economy in late '08.
Former truck driver seeking resolution in either construction (preferably commercial) or warehousing/distribution.
Main problems: Age (discrimination IS IN full swing), lack of verifiable experience (apart from in person), wages, (sometimes) extended travel.

Doing the temp thing which anymore seems to be the only way into many companies.

I will say anywhere from 9-15% unemployment in this area of NC (Piedmont-Triad).

Old 01-31-2011, 03:21 PM  

Liberty, New York
I work for the NSF (national Science Foundation) You could look on the UNOLS.org website for jobs
Job Opportunities

The pay tends to be less but you wont have to commute since you would be at the job site. You can negotiate for a a block of time to work like 90 days or so. Or if you get a full time spot you can be home and be paid while on rotation. Usually anywhere from 5 weeks to 2 months rotation on and off. I know we write almost all our own code for in house programs. We use Perl.

It is NOT a job for every one. You are isolated for months stuck on a boat with people that you may very well not like much. ( For the most part they are all grad students or PHD people)

Working off shore is hard work with 12 hour days 7 days a week, this would equal some pretty good cash but it is work and can be grueling at times. There is little if any support, if something is broken you have to get exotic at times.

I like it an have been sailing the ocean for 20 years, any questions just PM me.
Cheers,
Bern
Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 PM  

Dallas, Texas
North Texas has lots of work. I got the first job I applied for for out of school. I am over 40 and I work in a local hospital. Cardiac Cath Labs are needing people out here. I know several that are in need of RNs or RCIS certified techs.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:33 PM  

Chicago, IL
I live in Chicago and have been searching for a multimedia job in After Effects, Photoshop, Maya, Illustrator, etc. for about a year and a half now. I've been unemployed for 6 months and can't find anything even remotely related. I have also had no luck applying to entry level positions that only require a high school diploma because I'm over qualified. I am looking to move ASAP! Not to mention they just Raised the Taxes by 65%!
Old 02-06-2011, 01:33 PM  

columbia, tn
That's sucks good luck sounds like you should be in LA or NY

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Employment / Jobs
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.