Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Fashion / Clothing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2011, 03:03 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
baby fine, thin, poker straight hair

I have very thin, baby fine, poker straight hair. I wish I knew what else to do with it.
I get a permament every three to four months to give it some body and waves. I also get it lightened every summer (not bleached), which helps. I've been getting perms for almost 30 years.
My hair is shoulder-length. I don't like it any shorter than that because then you can see my ears sticking out, and the curlier hair draws attention away from my plain face and glasses. Also, when my hair grows out and the curl disappears, my hair lays flat against my skull and actually feels "heavy," as if there is a weight on my head.
I would love to get another type of hairstyle but have no clue what to do. Layering doesn't help my hair, it just thins it out even more. The only time layers ever worked for me was in grade school in the early 1970s when I had a David Cassidy-style shag. Actually, I always liked that hairstyle!
To give you a comparison, I think Sarah Palin's hair is like mine. I don't know how she stands it--the weight of the straight hair glued to her head, and those straggly strands always hanging in her eyes! It drives me crazy when it does that!
Do any of you have any suggestions?

Old 10-02-2011, 03:06 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Shave it all off

Edit: Just remembered you're a gal

Old 10-02-2011, 04:42 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
I have very thin, baby fine, poker straight hair. I wish I knew what else to do with it.
I get a permament every three to four months to give it some body and waves. I also get it lightened every summer (not bleached), which helps. I've been getting perms for almost 30 years.
My hair is shoulder-length. I don't like it any shorter than that because then you can see my ears sticking out, and the curlier hair draws attention away from my plain face and glasses. Also, when my hair grows out and the curl disappears, my hair lays flat against my skull and actually feels "heavy," as if there is a weight on my head.
I would love to get another type of hairstyle but have no clue what to do. Layering doesn't help my hair, it just thins it out even more. The only time layers ever worked for me was in grade school in the early 1970s when I had a David Cassidy-style shag. Actually, I always liked that hairstyle!
To give you a comparison, I think Sarah Palin's hair is like mine. I don't know how she stands it--the weight of the straight hair glued to her head, and those straggly strands always hanging in her eyes! It drives me crazy when it does that!
Do any of you have any suggestions?
I have the same sort of hair but your post sounds like a concerned woman. Long before hippies took off I fell asleep during a haircut and did not cut my hair for about 5 years. I just parted it in the middle and kept it clean. Until thinning hair forced a short haircut I was happy with the long hair except on windy days but a headband solved that.
baby fine, thin, poker straight hair-crutch-photo.jpg 

Old 04-22-2014, 07:08 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
a follow-up

This is the first photo I have ever seen on the Internet of a scalp that looks like mine. I am guessing my hair type must be rare because it's hard to find articles about this subject! Most articles are aimed at women with dry thick curly full hair.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/27...hin-oily-hair/
Old 08-17-2014, 05:39 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
perms

Since my hours and salary were cut early last year I have not had a perm in 18 months. You think I would have gotten used to not having one, but I haven't. Even though my hair is now almost halfway down my back, my ponytail is still quite thin!
Old 12-16-2014, 04:11 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
my photos

I am 53 and still have to wash my hair every day. This is what I look like after I haven't washed my hair in 24 hours. I know you are probably thinking that if I cut it, it would look better, but trimming has never helped except for the first week or two.
baby fine, thin, poker straight hair-before-front.jpg 

baby fine, thin, poker straight hair-before-side.jpg 

baby fine, thin, poker straight hair-before-back.jpg 

Old 12-16-2014, 04:14 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
after my perm

This was today after my first permanent in two years. I have Roger Daltry/Peter Frampton hair again!
baby fine, thin, poker straight hair-after-front.jpg 

baby fine, thin, poker straight hair-after-side.jpg 

baby fine, thin, poker straight hair-after-back.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Fashion / Clothing
Bookmark this Page!