Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Fashion / Clothing
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Looks like a 24'+ chisel behind that New Holland. Thats alot of impliment to be pulling and I imagine thats why the chevron style treds.

Now for getting back on topic about boots. The last two years I've had to get back into backpacking as my oldest grandboy and soon his younger brother are of that age they need to go and learn other than car camping. We've been going various places on the PCT for 4 to 7 day treks with the oldest grandboy.

I've had to upgrade my backpacking gear from what I had left over from the 1970's when I would go with small groups up into high altitude BFE for near month long treks.

After buying and trying out a few of these inexpensive "tacticool" boots and experiencing total discomfort and actual boot failure on single treks, I finally parted with a little bank and bought a pair of these.

Zamberlan Vioz GT Hiking Boots - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

I almost bought the Asolo's but the Zamberlan's fit my particular foot shape better.

These boots so far for me have been the most comfortable, best supporting, and a total joy in use in high altitude, steep, rocky, wet, terrane when carrying near 70 lbs. in weight in the backpack. These are an excellent four season boot and with flex crampons work extremely well in snow and ice.

They do run a little warm with plain cotton or plain wool socks but with medium weight SmartWool socks it's not an issue.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:21 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I liked your description of terrain they handle well but I'm relieved not needing a 70 lb. backpack shoe. I've noticed falls kill a lot of people in Oregon so I'll look into non-slip features for my next pair of boots. stuff pretty much stays wet here.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:14 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I liked your description of terrain they handle well but I'm relieved not needing a 70 lb. backpack shoe. I've noticed falls kill a lot of people in Oregon so I'll look into non-slip features for my next pair of boots. stuff pretty much stays wet here.
Well it does appear that the upper end Italian and German boot companies have the market cornered on the good stuff out there for these kind of hiking and backpacking conditions. These Zamberlans have good grip in the slippery wet and stay pretty damn dry when submerged. Also their design breathes and ventlates very good for a near water proof boot.

I imgine that you probably need no more than a good quality regular hiking boot. The upper end brand hikers can be had for less $$$$ than the backpacker or mountaineering models and the high top models can save your ankles.

As soon as these two little fart grandboys get a few more years on them they'll be sharing more of the weight for these treks. For now I have had to carry the majority of gear which is more than I would if it was only me. The oldest grandboy just truned 8 Y.O. and we have one more trip this season to the North Coast before snow skiing season starts up. Next year he will be packing most of his own gear which should take at least 20 lbs. or so off the weight I have to carry now. It'll be at least 2 years before we can take the younger grandboy to these places of rugged terrane and by that time the now 8 Y.O. should be able to carry a fair amount of his younger brothers gear weight.

I run most all new / modern ultra light gear now and when it's just me only my total pack weight is just a tad under 40 lbs. for a 5 day trek.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:18 PM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
5.11 Tactical is where most of the cops in So. Cal. get their gear. It holds up real well.
YES! my last pair were 5.11's . . .they hold up good over here in the desert too for us non cop folk.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:53 PM  
fustrated genius

Hey c'mon blucher, the nearest mall from me is over 50 miles away ha ha .
mall ninja . . I like that.

and those vandersloos GT's are way too HOT for the Mohave, better just save those for the mtns. or up north in the cold areas. Unsat desert attire.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:41 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Hey c'mon blucher, the nearest mall from me is over 50 miles away ha ha .
mall ninja . . I like that.

and those vandersloos GT's are way too HOT for the Mohave, better just save those for the mtns. or up north in the cold areas. Unsat desert attire.
Yep, they are definately on the hot side for desert activities. Usually wear a pair of Redwing leather boots with CoolMax light hiker socks in the Desert. Still warm but doable.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:51 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I like my boots to be all leather.
It's the only thing that lasts and it makes my feet very happy.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I imgine that you probably need no more than a good quality regular hiking boot. The upper end brand hikers can be had for less $$$$ than the backpacker or mountaineering models and the high top models can save your ankles.

I run most all new / modern ultra light gear now and when it's just me only my total pack weight is just a tad under 40 lbs. for a 5 day trek.
I have a well made not overly heavy pair of work boots for hiking or climbing. My footsies got tender a few years back so I wear a half size larger boot than normal and the laced uppers keep the boots securely on my feet.

The modern gear is amazing but then so are the prices.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 AM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiponredTJ View Post
I like my boots to be all leather.
It's the only thing that lasts and it makes my feet very happy.

I like this synthetic crap too
Old 09-04-2011, 12:59 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
"The modern gear is amazing but then so are the prices."

Yep the lighter you go the prices increase exponentially. That being said, I have to say that the best of what was available back in the 60's and 70's doesn't even come close to the average gear they have today let alone the better stuff and that includes most all boots. The gear nowdays is so much more comfortable and ergonomically improved over the gear of yesteryear.

The weight thing is a balancing act and is very critical when making purchase decisions for your total overall pack weight and what your pocket book can afford.

I counted every ounce of every item I bought over the last year and a half when basically starting from scratch for my pack and all my gear. Some gear I sacraficed weight on and other gear I spent mucho $$$ for lightness to compensate for items I splurged on with heavier weight.

Also not all gear is good for every enviorment as so correctly pointed out by HiHood regarding the boots for hot desert conditions as opposed to boots for cooler high alitiude conditions. So you do end up buying a few different styles of gear for the same use but for different enviorments if you want the utlimate in comfort and practicality.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Fashion / Clothing
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.