Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2010, 03:24 PM  

Poughkeepsie, NY
Flagstaff is wonderful, and I enjoyed the time I spent there while attending NAU. Unfortunately the area, and in fact all of Arizona, wasn't conducive to earning a good wage in technology.

I have a friend that had a small cabin about ten minutes outside of Flagstaff, on the western side. He had told me that the cost of a well was quite prohibitive, but he has tank deliveries of water until/if he decides to have a well sunk.

One bit of advice - if you are think about going near campus on a snowy day, reconsider. College students don't know a thing about driving in winter. I know because I was one of them. Fun for me, terrifying for pedestrians.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:37 PM  

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddings View Post
Wow... My question has certainly opened up quite the debate...

Doing additional research and talking to some rural land owners around Flagstaff, I've learned a few things...

1) There is ground water in and around Flagstaff...
2) The ground water is a bit "hit and miss" in many areas around Flagstaff...
3) Accessibility to ground water can be deep but not necessarily because again, it's "hit and miss" to find a good aquifer... And of course, going deeper doesn't necessarily mean more water if your not on the aquifer...

And by "good aquifer" I mean a well capable of producing a reasonable gallons per minute volume that is not seasonal. I've read quite a few people have wells but produce low GPM and many are seasonal...

As for Flagstaff being a desert... Well, it certainly doesn't resemble the harsh, dry environment that is often associated with Arizona topography... A few of the attractive qualities that draw my wife and I to Flagstaff is the vegetation, trees, and seemingly un-desert like qualities found more commonly throughout AZ... It many ways, it seems Flagstaff has more in common with the Sierra Nevada mountains than the baron landscape of say, Phoenix. Of course, this is my casual observation and not on any professional or scientific study...
I think you've figured it out. When I lived there I knew people who trucked their own water, some who had wells, and many who were on city water. It's something you need to be sure to check into before you buy a parcel of land.

As far as desert or not, I was with the Forest Service when I was there. It's absolutely a forest environment. However, as far as forests go, it's one of the driest I have ever been in. It gets more rain than a desert, but it's seasonal, not year-round. If you're into water sports this is not the area for you. Sure, there are some lakes and streams, but nothin like what you would find in most other forested regions throughout the nation.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:08 PM  

tucson, az
fyi some climate classification systesmdon't ven considwer the sonoran desert a desert, it gets over 4" rain per year and is considered subtropical, its one of the most vegetatted deserts in the world...fyi deserts get flowers
Ground Water in Flagstaff-p3070075.jpg 

Ground Water in Flagstaff-p3070082.jpg 

Ground Water in Flagstaff-p3070085.jpg 

Ground Water in Flagstaff-p3070107.jpg 

Ground Water in Flagstaff-p3070127.jpg 

Old 11-23-2010, 02:16 PM  

Newalla, Oklahoma
From what I gather then, drilling a well, either shallow or deep is still a hit or miss proposition. Sounds like that could get very expensive very quickly. I am 72 years old andwanted to retire in the Northern Arizona mountains but it may be too expensive. Land prices weren't bad but the cost of water could really run up the costs.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM  

tucson, az
delivery is not really all that expensive and no monthly bills with add ons! plus you can deliver your own or just rent and eat out....
Old 12-22-2010, 03:38 PM  

Visalia, Ca.
I used to live in Mesa and go to Chweek long camping trips in Flagstaff. It was always a nice place to go. But I never once thought about how they got the water to camp we stayed at. Of course I was only about 5.

This has been very interesting to read about.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:56 PM  
Uncle Buck

Flagstaff
Ground Water - Flagstaff and Surrounding

Honestly, it depends on the community you move to, and how far from Flagstaff it is. City of Flagstaff provides water for the Central Flagstaff area, whereas Kachina Village has its own water company, Mountainaire has it's own seperate water company, and most of the other areas do, as well.

My best advice to you is to find out what town/area you potential land is closest to, and find out who is the water company for that area. Then, call and ask if they supply water to your potential property or if you would have to dig a well. If you have to dig a well, I am sure they would have more information for you, or could refer you to someone who would. Also, they may offer to hook up a water connection to your property.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:37 AM  

Newalla, Oklahoma
Thanks to all you friendly folks who have given me information and options for water in the area.Mr.Froo, a special thanks for all the information you sent. Unfortunately the property I was originally inquiring about has been sold. The Arizona Citizens who elect State Government that passes laws to help its Citizens, not restrict them are the kind of folks I want to live around and have for friends. I will renew my search for mountain land, ten acres or more, with or without amenities. Again, thank you all for your information for availability of fresh water is a life necessity.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.