Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2012, 05:23 PM  

Houston, Texas
It's good to have that out in the open and revealed but I still feel my comments, IMHO, are correct. Be interesting to see if it is found out who posted this. Not just who claims it but the true person and if their actions were sanctioned by any group. Not just if they are part of an organization but if the organization knew and approved.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:54 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Illegal immigrants. The same ones who do it now because American workers demand too much and deliver too little. I wonder if that waitress that got the 1% tip was an illegal immigrant or not?
I've never met an illegal immigrant who owned a business and hired other illegal immigrants.

I don't understand how you blame people for trying to better their lives when the people that do the hiring are doing so in pursuit of higher profits.

Quote:
Nope, not forgotten. Just an outdated concept in a culture where the blue collar worker takes their job for granted. As if they have a right to work. No one has a "right" to work. Find that in the Constitution, that you have a right to work. You work to get a job then you work harder to keep it. Being in Texas you know that Texas is not a right to work state. That means that your employeer can walk in say good morning, nice tie and by the way you're fired and doesn't need to give you a reason. Does it happen? No, but it can and you have few if any options if it does.
What jobs? You need a job to take it for granted. The sins of the past generations are being taken out on the current. Instead of regulating, we ship jobs over seas eliminating the American Middle Class. It's happening all over the US.

Yes Texas is a right to work state, and I'm not saying I agree with what the unions did, but it seems like people in the younger generations are going to be the ones to suffer and that makes no sense to me.

I didn't negotiate exorbitant benefits before I was born. Alternately I cannot find a job in manufacturing even if I needed to.

Quote:
Huh? Want to run that by me again? Ship what jobs overseas? Washing dishes? Waiting tables? OK. I get it and agree. Up to a point. Blaming someone else for your own bad attitude, apathy and lack of interest in doing the job right hardly seems prudent. Think I will keep giving out 1% tips when needed and 10% when called for. I have two words going through my mind that I find an outdated concept and past it's time. Probably doing more harm than good in the current economic climate. The words are "Labor Union".
Factories, manufacturing. Those are the jobs I mean.

We're basing the assumption of the lack of tip on the available evidence. "Get a real Job" in this case.

Labor unions are like all things. In moderation they serve to protect workers from unreasonable demands, they have changed substantially from that though.

I'm not advocating their return, but there has to be a system in place to ensure the future of the American middle class or we slip further into the Oligarchy we already are.

As for the apathy. I understand it.

My father put himself through college flipping burgers.

Now you can't even pay your rent doing that. To quote am acquaintance "Why should I work for things I don't want and will never attain?".

I don't see it as a reasonable work ethic as it contrary to my own, but I understand his sense of frustration in that even with solid employment the chances of getting ahead are still minimal when in consideration to blue color jobs.

I don't live to work, I work to live. If I can't live by working, where is the logic in having that job?

Before you say find another job, there are none. Texas was one of the states that managed to create jobs during the recession.

Most where bellow minimum wage and given to immigrants. Can't blame them though, they are not hiring themselves.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 AM  

Houston, Texas
You seem to have misread my statment. I didn't say there was anything wrong with illegal aliens taking jobs that Americans won't. I dont't blame them and if I was in a similar position I wouldn't hesitate to take a job under those circumstances. As for the rest, OK.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:46 PM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
When do you think they will start paying their employees a decent wage and
everyone just stops paying "tips".....that way you won't have to worry about
whether it's 10, 15 or 20%.........right now it just means the food is costing
more by the amount of the tip and if the resturants just charged a few more
percent for the food the tip wouldn't be necessary and the employees would
be able to look forward to a fixed paycheck each pay period, as other workers......
Old 03-26-2012, 02:31 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I don't think it will ever happen. As a culture we've come to expect it.

I'm tied of seeing tip jars all over the place.

Not because I don't want to tip those people, because I want them to make a decent living without asking me for more money after they've already rendered service.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:23 PM  

Houston, Texas
My ex-mother-in-law was a waitress for many, many years at a seafood place in Silver Spring, MD.Kinda sorta upscale but not trendy. Well established place. When she worked weekends she could make 100+ a day in tips. This was the mid-80's. The management wanted a cut of her tips too.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
We had a very good Mexican restaurant here. One of the waiters asked me not to leave a tip. Told me the owner took them all. We never went back.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:19 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I don't think it will ever happen.
As a culture we've come to expect it.

I'm tired of seeing tip jars all over the place.

Not because I don't want to tip those people, because
I want them to make a decent living without asking me
for more money after they've already rendered service.
And, if you notice on your income tax form, you have
to claim all those tips as income. I drove an automobile
at our airport for a transportation service and we only received
a token hourly wage and were "assured" folks would give
great "tips" allowing us to make great salarys....."not"..........

http://www.groometransportation.com/

http://www.groometransportation.com/richmond_fares.htm

I've also heard of places where the owner took all the tips......
Banker leaves 1% tip-groome-transportation.jpg 

Old 04-18-2012, 09:13 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
In Texas tip sharing has become a hot button issue.

Most everyone stopped practicing it.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 AM  
fustrated genius

I stopped going to Denny's yrs ago due to poor cust service and nasty food. Well, about two/three yrs back I went in one and it was just the opposite. So about a week ago, the wife and I went into the local Denny's and wow, apparently, they hadn't got word of the change yet. The waitress gave the impression we were bothering her, the food was unedible it was so nasty. I left the snotty rude waitress a whopping big ZERO percent tip, and we left wishing we had decided to dine at friggin MacDonalds, that's how nasty it was.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.