Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2010, 01:50 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha okay. Thank you for clearing that up. +1 to you, good sir!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 AM  

Roy, Utah
I like to do the tinfoil dinners, but instead of just seasoning the contents I like to make a good seal on it and add some whiskey along with the other juices, then just drain it off when you're done cookin (drinking it will be naaasty) and enjoy.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:00 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlyduff View Post
I like to do the tinfoil dinners, but instead of just seasoning the contents I like to make a good seal on it and add some whiskey along with the other juices, then just drain it off when you're done cookin (drinking it will be naaasty) and enjoy.
thats a good idea!

kudos!
Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 PM  

Brookston, Indiana
Aluminum foil pouches in coals huh? Only thing I can think up would be a small steak with sliced green peppers and onions, whole or diced baked potatoes, and corn. I prefer to set a grill above the fire for the corn though.

Take fresh corn and peel back the husk just far enough to remove the silk. Replace the husk and set on the grill. Turn it over every 5-10 minutes until the husk as browned all the way through and the outer layer is burnt. If it burns enough off to pull away from the tip and the kernels get toasted that's fine too. Take it off the grill and shuck it just before eating. It is always sweet and juicy.
Add butter and salt if you want, but you won't really need it.

If you have a dutch oven I can give you a website that has a section in the forums just for camping recipes. They do have more than just dutch oven recipes, but most that I saw or paid attention to use the dutch oven.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:19 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
All depends on what type of cooking you can and want to do of course, but here are a few things I've done that you might like too:

1) Bannock - it's a native Indian bread (my family competes with each on who can make the best bannock). The best way to make it is use real grease drippings from bacon or any other meat you cook ... add the grease directly to the flour, then salt and water, a bit of baking powder, make it all in dough and place it thick in a cast iron pan... cook it on coals ... you can also wrap it around a stick and hold it above the coals like you do a hot dog.
2) Use zip lock bags and bring spaghetti sauce, then cook a pot of spaghetti over the fire or stove. Yummy spaghetti dinner.
3) Bring foil and wrap potatoes or corn or cut up steak with veggies.
3) Cook a steak in a pan on the fire.
4) Bring the veggies and beef and make a stew.

Come to think of it, there is nothing you can't cook while you are camping. I can't post it all.. I love cooking on the fire better than anything. Always get a good bed of coals to cook with before you start to cook.

Funny story, last winter I lost power at home for almost 10 days. I stayed warm and cooked with my fireplace during this time (bannock was on the menu because it's so easy and yummy). Here's a picture taken from my living room! I didn't have a cast iron pan so I put tinfoil on one of my good cephalon pans - worked great. And couldn't resist submitting the one of my dog playing in the snow.
Camping food-snowstorm2010-043.jpg 

Camping food-snowstorm2010-051.jpg 

Camping food-snowstorm2010-036.jpg 

Old 10-11-2010, 07:32 PM  

That bread looks pretty good
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
That bread IS really good... when I posted the picture I got hungry! Nothing like sitting around a campfire eating warm bread and a hot dinner straight from the fire... throw in a good coffee and it's perfect.

I'd make it for you if you lived closer and it won't stay warm in the mail
Old 10-11-2010, 07:40 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngirl View Post
That bread IS really good... when I posted the picture I got hungry! Nothing like sitting around a campfire eating warm bread and a hot dinner straight from the fire... throw in a good coffee and it's perfect.

I'd make it for you if you lived closer and it won't stay warm in the mail

It's the offer that counts!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 AM  
edh

Calgary, AB
Try this,,it's good.

One egg,,one orange with thick rind.
Slice the top off the orange and spoon out the orange fruit, eat the orange fruit. Now you have a hollow orange and you crack the egg into it.
Put it into the coals with cap on and egg inside.
Smells great, don't let the orange burn through.
When the egg is done, eat it out of the orange.

You may wrap the orange in foil if you don't want a black orange.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh View Post
One egg,,one orange with thick rind.
Slice the top off the orange and spoon out the orange, eat the orange. Now you have a hollow orange and you crack the egg into it.
Put it into the coals with cap on and egg inside.
Smells great, don't let the orange burn through.
When the egg is done, eat it out of the orange.

You may wrap the orange in foil if you don't want a black orange.
weird.

i'm going to try that

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!