Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2010, 04:38 AM  

Sarnia, Ontario
Hey Steve,

Yeah I make wine at home in Sarnia. I had been making it at Wine Kitz for a couple of years but now that I am retired I decided to make it at home myself. Lots more hands on like this and am able to set my own schedule regarding filtering and bottling etc.

Currently am using juices from Costco as it is very inexpensive and quite good. Got a couple of batches of white wine juice on sale at $25 per batch this week (Sauvignon blanc and Pinot Bianco). This works out to about $1 per bottle so you can't get much more inexpensive than that.

Regards
Terry

Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 AM  
Special Agent

Fennville, MI
We seem to run low on red wine for a blender and white wine for stripping and making Cranberry and Red Currant wine (made from concentrates added to finished wine), so are able to purchase bulk tankerloads of wine from California at $2.75/ gallon. that's 55 cents a bottle, before freight, but still a good buy.

My mom used to see me making wine in my bedroom with a gallon jug and a tube going into a glass of water (bubbling) and asked me what that was? I was a Junior in HS and I told her don't pay any mind to that Mom, that's just a scientific experiment. So got my first "hands" on winemaking back in 1970 and still seem to make a little bit.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 AM  

Paron, Arkansas
So what is the price of getting started making wine? I am thinking about making mead.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:24 AM  
Special Agent

Fennville, MI
Try making regular grape wine first, and you'll have better success. Welches concord grape juice will turn out something similar to Moga David wine. I always felt that Concord, with it's "grapey" flavor, probably was best slightly sweet.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 PM  

Paron, Arkansas
Thanks Gibbs. Is there a place online to buy a kit for wine.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:47 AM  
Special Agent

Fennville, MI
Meade making is tricky to get a good product. Honey is the main ingredient of meade and lacks nutriens for the yeast and good acid for crispness of the finished wine. Also, something that a lot of folks don't understand is that if there is a high degree of fructose in the juice, the yeasts have a difficult time fermenting them. Glucose is what they like, and they work on the fructose as kind of a last resort.

Presque Isle in PA I believe has wine making kits, as well as there is one down in Indiana that is both a wine and beer hobby supply house. If you want to make dry wine, stick with Premiere Cuvee aka PDM or Vin13 (expensive)...there are others. Cotes d Blanc aka "Epernay II " works to bring out fruitness of the wine, and is not such a fast fermenter and you can ease into stopping the fermentation at the last with racking and higher levels of SO2 if you want. with PDM, you may see it working one day and dry the next.

Google is your friend.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:50 PM  
KC Born and Raised!

Kansas City, MO
I also got pointed in this sites direction from my hobby, home brewing. (Homebrewtalk.com) I've been brewing for 7+ years, and recently started making hard cider too. Never tried making wine, but would be interested in doing a small batch of mead to see what the process is like.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 PM  

Harrisburg, PA
I'm a homebrewer also and just purchased my first wine kit saturday. I opened the bag of juice (got a 6gal not concentrated kit) and added the yeast along with bentonite. It was fermenting by bedtime and I guess I'll be transferring it on sunday/monday to one of my better bottles.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 PM  

Cleveland, Ohio
I've been a home brewer for about 10yrs and also came here from Homebrewtalk.com. Haven't made any wine yet but would like to try it sometime.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:40 AM  

Chicago, Il
Ive been brewing for a little over a year.

Here is a easy mead recipe
Joe's Ancient Orange Mead - Home Brew Forums

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!