Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2011, 03:31 PM  

Shuswap, BC
I almost forgot to post the link to it.

This place is great and I will be back.
Kamloops Restaurants

Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCboy View Post
Our bill came to just under $247 total.
I left 300 even on the table, so she got just over $53 as a tip.
I would have done exactly the same thing.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I myself have a hard time dealing with the differences of a local convienence store and a Starbuck's coffee shop. One gets upset when you fail to tip for pouring a cup of coffee, but the other gets offended and cannot accept a tip.
Tips at Starbucks baffles me. They are an example of a top producing company that pays their people poorly so they supplement with tips.

It's horrible.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 PM  
fustrated genius

I went out one night, it was in San Diego, CA. There were several of us, and we sat down at a local restuarant. The poor waitress was working her rear end off. She got every order correct, was just a pleasant little thing the whole time. I dropped my amount down for what I, my wife and another person ate and enough for a great tip for the outstanding waitress we had. Well, the WITCH, (with a capitol B) who nickle and dimed her way through the entire thing, snagged the tip, and the way I found out was she had the gumption to BRAG about making money and seeing the concert AND eating dinner. Dang I was PO'd, still get that way just thinking about it.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:04 AM  
island girl

Chicago, IL
waiters don't make minimum wage here in Chicago. they are paid $4.85/hr, minimum wage right now is $8.25/hr.

waiters are expected to make tips/gratuity/whatever you want to call it, it's kinda like salary+commission type of pay when you have low salary but are expected to make commission on sale.

in many places (like hotels and restaurants with computerized POS systems) waiters are taxed on percentage of their sale, no matter if they were tipped enough or not. the way it's calculated, let's say your sale was $100, you are expected to get $15 in tips/gratuity, so you get taxed on that $15 as your income. if you made more than $15 you are supposed to report the difference (yeah, right), but if you made less... well, it's your problem.

mandatory gratuity is very well justified as larger parties DO stay at their tables for much longer time and are generally harder to work with, not only for the wait staff but for the kitchen as well.

each private business can make their own rules as they please. as long as it's posted somewhere (on the menu, on the wall) it's legal, and if someone does not want to comply, well, they should not dine there.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:05 PM  

Shuswap, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana View Post
waiters don't make minimum wage here in Chicago. they are paid $4.85/hr, minimum wage right now is $8.25/hr.

waiters are expected to make tips/gratuity/whatever you want to call it, it's kinda like salary+commission type of pay when you have low salary but are expected to make commission on sale.

in many places (like hotels and restaurants with computerized POS systems) waiters are taxed on percentage of their sale, no matter if they were tipped enough or not. the way it's calculated, let's say your sale was $100, you are expected to get $15 in tips/gratuity, so you get taxed on that $15 as your income. if you made more than $15 you are supposed to report the difference (yeah, right), but if you made less... well, it's your problem.

mandatory gratuity is very well justified as larger parties DO stay at their tables for much longer time and are generally harder to work with, not only for the wait staff but for the kitchen as well.

each private business can make their own rules as they please. as long as it's posted somewhere (on the menu, on the wall) it's legal, and if someone does not want to comply, well, they should not dine there.
So then its NOT a tip, its a fee.
So call it that.
A "TIP" is what a customer WANTS to leave, if they felt the service was worthy of it.

I will never eat at a place with a mandatory charge aka tip.....its like saying " I can be the most crappy waiter/waitress in the whole world and I am still going to take a huge pile of your money.
well i say F you.
I belong to 5 groups here in kamloops, with a combined 2,000 plus people, and I even put it in the flyer how this place was charging, and to not go there, and it was unanimous, everyone agreed to boycott them, plus tell everyone else they knew to stay away as well.
I hope they go bankrupt, i will laugh my ass off.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.