Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 AM  

To those I've loved and left

I love food. There I said it. And the only real problem I have with this fact is that most of the foods I really love I have long since left behind. You know, the real indigenous foods that have a habit of staying where they grow up and never really branching out. The ones that even if someone tried to recreate the recipe somewhere else it could never, ever be the same.

I imagine that some of you know how I feel. There you are, in the middle of Nebraska and your girlfriend asks you what you want to do for dinner. And you are instantly transfixed on a craving for a San Felipe style Baja Fish Taco that you used to get in San Diego and Mexico. And you tell her that nothing else will do. So next you find yourself sitting in the local farmer's cafe where they don't have fish or tacos, let alone fish tacos on the menu! It's pure torture.

So, what foods have you guys had a romantic fling with and then left them behind never to return? And how do you cope with the void they have left you?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:57 AM  
Just an earthbound misfit

pa
Every year around Christmas, when I was growing up, it was a local tradition to visit people and bring along a meat pie. Nice flakey crust, filling made with mixtures of beef, venison, pork and potatoes, nice and hot out of the oven. Just writing this makes me want one.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 PM  

That's what I'm talking about! They sound fantastic, where did you partake in this traditional meat pie door to door ritual? Sounds cool
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM  
Just an earthbound misfit

pa
The northern part of NH.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 PM  

Another example, Baja Mexico - they have this little town called Puerto Nuevo that fries their lobsters. And they are wonderful. Nobody anywhere else does them and I just tried my hand at them here in Houston for my first attempt.

The verdict? Nowhere close. Not this time. I let the market I bought the lobsters from steam them for me, and they cooked them to the point of being past done. Then when I took them home to fry them up, the meat shriveled up and I knew they were lost. Still dug the meat out and gave it a go, but it just didn't work.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!