Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Why is Generic Soda Bad?

Why can't any of the grocery store chains clone Coca-Cola?

It's just a couple of ingredients, can they not clone it exactly else it's copyright infringement or why don't any generics actually taste like Coca-Cola.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:39 PM  

Silverdale, WA
I don't know about generic cola, but honestly there are quite a few cheap sodas I do enjoy. Shasta makes a decent grapefruit cola, and a few others that aren't too bad either. Their diet cola is a bit bitter, but this is coming from a guy who actually likes the rarely found TAB.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:41 PM  

Fairmont, wv
Guess its just the expertise of making it..I can make fried potatoes exactly like my mom, but they never taste as good as hers...
Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
I think it is the copy right infringement thing. They can get close but not copy the exact formula. I still think it is a highly guarded secrete really.

Why is it that they all try to immatate coke and not Pepsi?

I gave up drinking soda over the summer.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:50 PM  
Poison Idea

I don't think they're really out to copy Coke either, it's more just a generic cola. I don't drink soda much anymore unless it's got liquor in it but Food Lion and Kroger make some damn good ones.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:12 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchckrll1 View Post
Guess its just the expertise of making it..I can make fried potatoes exactly like my mom, but they never taste as good as hers...
That's cooking which is different then beverage making which is more of an exact controllable science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
I think it is the copy right infringement thing. They can get close but not copy the exact formula. I still think it is a highly guarded secrete really.

Why is it that they all try to immatate coke and not Pepsi?

I gave up drinking soda over the summer.
I think it's because people like Coke much more over Pepsi. I'm not a Pepsi fan.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I think there's no real market in it. Coke and Pepsi have the market lock down, when I want a cola, I want a Coke. Nothing else is going to do it. There are exceptions, hence the market being there, but someone else said they do good off flavor sodas, eg. grapefruit, apple, things you don't typically find.

I have to buy off brand to find a decent Pineapple soda.

I just don't think it's worth it for them to invest in a product that thrives off of name brand recognition.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Food / Drink
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads