Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2011, 10:16 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Popular Court Cases and Crimes in your Town

Every city has a seedy underbelly.

My hometown is no exception, we have the Rachel Cook case.

Help Find Rachel Cooke

She was one year ahead of me in school. Her mother was a teacher and was well liked.

Georgetown is also home to Orange Socks, one of the unidentified victims of Henry Lee Lucas.

Orange Socks tombstone simply reads: Unidentified Woman 1979.

So what's your city notorious for?

Old 05-20-2011, 10:43 AM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
houston is notorious for oil.

but ive been personally affected by a few crimes/murders....

A girl I knew and hung out with since kindergarten was shot point-blank with a shotgun in a corn field. Why? Two guys thought she stole their digital camera. They found it in the back seat of their car after they shot her and left her. Cops found the shotgun, cut up and burried in concrete in one man's back yard. They later confessed and were sentenced to jail. RIP Victoria
http://www.click2houston.com/news/2946087/detail.html

My best friend <3 Matt was killed by a drunk driver (who lives here freely in san marcos). He was 3x the legal limit of alcohol. They found a crack pipe in his car as well. Police also found a bottle of prescription anxiety pills - xanax - that wasnt prescribed to him. The outcome? He got away with murder and attends Texas State as a free man.

Is it wrong that on the anniversary this year, I plan to introduce myself to him and tell him what a wonderful person he took from us? I miss my friend a lot and think about him every day. <3

Old 05-20-2011, 10:44 AM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
houstonunsolved.com has TONS of unsolved murders. its sad, really....
Old 05-20-2011, 01:02 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
houston is notorious for oil.

but ive been personally affected by a few crimes/murders....

A girl I knew and hung out with since kindergarten was shot point-blank with a shotgun in a corn field. Why? Two guys thought she stole their digital camera. They found it in the back seat of their car after they shot her and left her. Cops found the shotgun, cut up and burried in concrete in one man's back yard. They later confessed and were sentenced to jail. RIP Victoria
2 Men Arrested For Fort Bend County Teen's Murder - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

My best friend <3 Matt was killed by a drunk driver (who lives here freely in san marcos). He was 3x the legal limit of alcohol. They found a crack pipe in his car as well. Police also found a bottle of prescription anxiety pills - xanax - that wasnt prescribed to him. The outcome? He got away with murder and attends Texas State as a free man.

Is it wrong that on the anniversary this year, I plan to introduce myself to him and tell him what a wonderful person he took from us? I miss my friend a lot and think about him every day. <3
What kept him from getting charged?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:46 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
We've got Kathy Reichs.......I wouldn't want her digging around in my past

imdb says "Kathy Reichs is a forensic anthropologist for the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, State of North Carolina, and for the Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaires et de M?decine L?gale for the province of Quebec. She is one of only fifty forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences. A professor of anthropology at The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Dr. Reichs is a native of Chicago, where she received her Ph.D. at Northwestern. She now divides her time between Charlotte and Montreal and is a frequent expert witness in criminal trials."

Also a best selling author.
Popular Court Cases and Crimes in your Town-kathy_reichs.jpg 

Old 05-24-2011, 01:11 AM  

The small town I was raised in for the majority of my childhood, Springerville, Arizona has a bit of an unsolved mystery. I grew up with a kid named Sean Patrick Hughes and considered him to be just as much a brother as I do my own flesh and blood brother. on April 19th of 1988, he was found dead at the entrance of the town graveyard on top of what is appropriately named Graveyard Hill. He had a single gunshot would to the head. Initially it was labelled a suicide, but those of us who knew Sean knew that this just wasn't true, not in a million years. Sean was 18.

With this being stuffed away as an official suicide, I had to get to the bottom of this, I couldn't let this just sit. I'll make this the Reader's Digest condensed version.

A man in his mid 30's named James Russell Jewell III had a thing for hanging around us teenagers and opened up a burger and video game joint in town. This town was pretty small, there were actually two towns together, Springerville and Eagar Arizona and had a rough combined population of 10,000 people. Everyone knew when you farted and there were really no secrets in town. James was a bit odd but he seemed cool so no one suspected him of killing our brother Sean. So after years of my own investigations, I found out a lot of odd things. A couple of those things are that James seemed to have a serious mind controlling grip over a lot of people, not just the kids in town, but the cops who had been cops in that town for 20 or 30 years were in on some serious covering up in Sean's death. Files from the original investigation just disappeared into thin air and whole new case had to be taken up by a new officer some 15 years later, mostly at the urging of myself and a couple of others. James Jewell had been arrested and convicted first of theft as he stole money from the video games and pool tables he was renting from a games warehouse. He was given a 5 year sentence for that. When he was due to be released at 2.5 years, he was brought up on charges of child molestation for doing things to his own 6 year old son & was given 10 years flat for that crime. James and us teenagers always played D&D (Dungeons & Dragons) but us kids played it like it was a game of monopoly. After more investigation, it was determined that James most likely killed Sean over a game of D&D because he believed that if your character in the game died that you had to die as well. I've refused to play that game ever since or ANY role playing type of game. James was never brought to justice for my brothers murder. I kept silent track of James through the sex offender database of Arizona and one day, he wasn't registered anymore. To my dismay, I found out that he had died. Of what I have no idea but I was hoping that he was murdered himself and died a horrible death as Sean died at his hands. But to be absolutely, legally sure, I'm still pushing the case to this day. However, the cops are just dragging ass in that small town. I've even tried to involve the FBI in it so they can make use of the advanced crime solving technology that the FBI has at it's disposal, but with no luck. I was even a suspect at one time as a matter of routine as I was around Sean up til around an hour or two before he died. I'll never rest until Sean's murderer is officially proven.

Now of course, without absolute definitive proof, I cannot be but 99.9% sure of James being the murderer or even having set it up and having had someone else do it. It's been swept under the rug but I keep lifting the rug and dragging it back out. I'm that pit bull that wont' let go and until the day I die, I wont' stop pushing to get this solved 100%. If someone knows of a way to force the police dept, FBI, any law enforcement agency to get this finalized, please let me know. I was thinking of that thing where the news station has that "3 On Your Side" kinda thing but I don't know if they do that kinda thing. Please, I beg you, for the sake of my brother, so he and everyone who loved him can rest in peace finally, give me some suggestions. Something else I saw once was a group of retired detectives who volunteer their time to cold cases but I can't find them to save my life. Thank you in advance to anyone and everyone who can help, even with a suggestion.

Dirkin DeSilva
Old 05-24-2011, 07:15 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRedbeard View Post
The small town I was raised in for the majority of my childhood, Springerville, Arizona has a bit of an unsolved mystery.......

Dirkin DeSilva
You ever consider sending Chris Hansen from "Dateline" a detailed version of that theory?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM  

The hottest crime around me involves another pervert. I mention this because in these days of technology, and if you have a wife and/or daughters, you better just assume that privacy is no longer private.

GLENDORA - Nearly 30 women and girls filmed by a camera hidden in a Starbucks restroom remain unidentified, police said Friday, and a California lawmaker called for tougher penalties for those who commit such crimes.

Glendora police Chief Rob Castro said the camera, which was disguised as a coat hook, was discovered April 15 by an employee of the Starbucks at 1832 E. Route 66.

Investigators believe it was placed there about 9 a.m. April 14 and recorded footage for a little more than 24 hours.

During that time, it filmed 45 people, some of whom were underage girls. Of those, 17 have been identified, leaving an additional 28 whose identities are not yet known.

Castro asked anyone who may have used the 'Starbucks Peeper' press conference in Glendorawomen's restroom April 14 or 15 to contact detectives.
"Obviously this is an egregious case we're taking very seriously," Castro said at a news conference Friday.

He said it does not appear any of the footage was uploaded to the Internet.

Meanwhile, state Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, R-Hesperia, has called for tougher penalties for those who secretly film someone for sexual gratification, calling it "sick, perverted, disgusting behavior."

"This should be, ought to be, must be a felony," he said.

"This is not just an invasion of privacy, it's an assault on our human dignity."

Under current law, secretly filming someone in a partial or full state of undress is a misdemeanor if those who are filmed are adults. It becomes a felony if children are filmed.

Castro said detectives were able to identify a suspect through security footage taken at the shop and credit card transaction records. He said the man purchased coffee to alleviate suspicion after he was caught leaving the women's restroom.

William Zafra Velasco, 25, an unemployed student from San Dimas, was arrested May 4 in connection with the crime after detectives served search warrants at his home and at his parents' home in Covina.

Velasco, who was released on $50,000 bail, is facing charges of disorderly conduct for placing the camera in the restroom and filming children in a state undress.

He's also facing residential burglary and stalking charges from a separate incident.

During the search of Velasco's home, detectives discovered women's underwear sealed in plastic bags. Through further investigation they determined the underwear was stolen from the residence of a 21-year-old woman who is a student at an unnamed local college.

Castro said Velasco may have become "enamored" with the woman while visiting her college campus. He said the victim did not know Velasco and didn't realize her home had been burglarized until she noticed her underwear was missing.

Castro called it "a clear escalation of behavior."

Castro and Glendora Mayor Doug Tessitor said these kinds of crimes are becoming easier as camera technology improves. The model of camera used in this case can be had for about $40 online.

"We have always had perverts," Tessitor said. "We now have technology to turn perversion into mass perversion."

Velasco is due for arraignment at the West Covina Courthouse on June 21.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:37 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
You ever consider sending Chris Hansen from "Dateline" a detailed version of that theory?

He does the "To catch a predator" show right? That's the one where they catch guys who are trying to meet the underage girls and boys. I wasn't aware that he did anything aside from that show but I will definitely write out the detailed story and send it to him. Thank you very much for the idea. This is a definite start and if I can manage (thanks to your help) to get this story some national attention, perhaps it will push the local police dept to get going on this or the FBI to to take this case over. If nothing else, he can direct me to the proper journalist at NBC to talk to about it. Once again, thank you for your time and help.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
While in college Dahmer lived about 5 blocks down the street.
In PA I lived next to Catasauqua where an ex-girlfriend drove up from the Carolinas to murder her ex-boyfriends new gf.
Still in PA one of my tenants wanted to rent our cabin on a trout stream. I was surprised since he barely seemed able to pay a lower priced unit's rent. He said he'd be working overtime. The next day we learned "overtime" meant robbing a bank. He's doing life and I'm wearing my "robber boots".

In OR we have mom's chucking their kids off the Sellwood Bridge, a crazy arab kid who tried to blow up a Christmas tree lighting ceremony and religious nuts who let their kids die without medical help.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > General City Discussion
Bookmark this Page!