Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > South Carolina > Greenville / Spartanburg
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2011, 06:36 AM  
bimmer builder

Greenville/Chapin, South Carolina
apartments and bmw plant

getting a job through mau at the bmw plant and i'm wondering if anyone here knows how possible it is to get on permanently. i'm also looking for an apartment and have pretty much settled on west chase. any tips?

Old 10-01-2011, 01:59 PM  

I worked there for 9 months not long ago. The sad fact is that they dangle the prospect of a permanent position like a carrot, but it rarely happens. There are LOTS of MAU people there who have worked as temps literally for years waiting to be hired on. You have to have worked through MAU for a year before you're even eligible, and they don't hire very many at all. Why would they? Even after you figure in how much MAU is making on each contract worker there, they're still a bargain. So you'll have a multiple-year wait (because there are so many people there with more seniority). In the meantime, you"ll be making 15 or 16 bucks an hour and working beside BMW employees who are doing the exact same job, but who are making 25 or 26 bucks an hour for doing it, and getting MUCH better benefits. They've changed the schedule of raises too, so if you DO manage to get hired, it will take a lot longer to get to the $25 -26 level than it did for the current employees.

Did I mention that Plant Spartanburg is the most profitable of all of their plants worldwide? No big surprise there.

Sorry to sound so negative, but they don't really tell you any of this upfront. Better to know what you're getting into, I always say.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:14 PM  
bimmer builder

Greenville/Chapin, South Carolina
lol this isn't an end all job. i'm just here till i can join the marines.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > South Carolina > Greenville / Spartanburg
Bookmark this Page!