Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Guess The City / State
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2010, 05:49 PM  

Where did historic Route 66 begin?

I lived alongside Route 66 for a long time. There were signs for it in many places all around.

Can you guess exactly where it began? Do you know?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:49 AM  
Seeker of Knowledge

Reno, NV
Lake Michigan, Chicago IL at Michigan Ave

Old 12-03-2010, 03:17 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDYoung View Post
Lake Michigan, Chicago IL at Michigan Ave
You are close, but not quite there. Care to take another try?
This one requires some intimate knowledge...
Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 AM  

The actual road you could also say begins in Santa Monica, Ca. If you were referring to when construction actually began, I have no idea!
Old 12-04-2010, 04:00 AM  

I guess I'm being a bit picky with the answer, and wasn't clear.

By "begin" I was referring to it's eastern most point. I don't know the western part, but I guess you do! I bet it's the "Go west young man." syndrome that's got me.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:45 AM  

Murrieta, CA
I live in Temecula CA and se the sign in Rancho Cucamunga stating that RT66 starts there. I have no idea where the eastern most starting point is however.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM  

Lubbock, Texas
Lou Mitchell's Cafe at 565 W. Jackson, Chicago?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:30 AM  

Hey! Hey! A home run! Here is a little prize...
Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 AM  

Toledo, ohio
a little history of Route 66

Route 66 (also known as the Will Rogers Highway after the humorist, and colloquially known as the "Main Street of America" or the "Mother Road") was a highway in the U.S. Highway System. One of the original U.S. highways, Route 66 was established on November 11, 1926. However, road signs did not go up until the following year.[1] The famous highway originally ran from Chicago, Illinois, through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California, before ending at Los Angeles, covering a total of 2,448 miles (3,940 km).[2] It was recognized in popular culture by both a hit song (written by Bobby Troup, originally recorded by the Nat King Cole Trio in 1946, and later performed by such artists as Chuck Berry, The Rolling Stones, The Manhattan Transfer and Depeche Mode) and the Route 66 television show in the 1960s.
Route 66 underwent many improvements and realignments over its lifetime, changing its path and overall length. Many of the realignments gave travelers faster or safer routes, or detoured around city congestion. One realignment moved the western endpoint farther west from downtown Los Angeles to Santa Monica.

Route 66 was a major path of the migrants who went west, especially during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s, and supported the economies of the communities through which the road passed. People doing business along the route became prosperous due to the growing popularity of the highway, and those same people later fought to keep the highway alive even with the growing threat of being bypassed by the new Interstate Highway System.

US 66 was officially removed from the United States Highway System on June 27, 1985 after it was decided the route was no longer relevant and had been replaced by the Interstate Highway System. Portions of the road that passed through Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, and Arizona have been designated a National Scenic Byway of the name "Historic Route 66". It has begun to return to maps in this form. Some portions of the road in southern California have been redesignated "State Route 66", and others bear "Historic Route 66" signs and relevant historic information.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:08 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubaduderon View Post
I lived alongside Route 66 for a long time. There were signs for it in many places all around.

Can you guess exactly where it began? Do you know?

Here's an old route map I found on the website that may be of intereste....

The Mother Road: Historic Route 66 - Turn by Turn Road Description

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General City Forum > Guess The City / State
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads