Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2011, 03:30 PM  

Wahiawa, Hawaii
Aloha

So I am relatively new here to the island and live in Wahiawa (Military). I have been here for about 4 months. Hoping some of you great people can help me find some things to do. My family and I are not really into the tourist thing, we would rather see the real heart beat of Hawaii. So far our two favorite locations are of course the North Shore and Kanaohe. So let us see what you have Hawaii?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Welcome, chad! I'm a Marine and I live over on Wheeler - small world eh?

My family and I, as of late, have been camping down at Bellow's Air Force Base down south by K-Bay lately. You can just camp there for I believe it's $8/night, or you can rent an entire field (what we normally do) for $60/night, and you can have I believe up to 75 people there. So we normally just rent a field, invite anyone and everyone, and it ends up only costing a few dollars. Also, it's got some of the most gorgeous beaches I've seen on the island.

Another thing I do with my kids is go to the zoo. I know I know, tourists. But we normally go on a Sunday morning or another unpopular time, where there are just locals there.

As far as the North Shore goes, go up and go West, instead of East. Before the road ends, there are a few beaches that local windsurfers use on good wind days - but besides that, almost no tourists. If you go at an unpopular time, you're really likely to have it all to yourself. There may not be as much sand as the ones towards the Northeast, but it's a good trade-off for me to just be able to chill and play with my kids without having to eye my things on the beach every minute (is that just a military thing?)

Anyhow - tons of things to do. Oahu's definitely what you make of it!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-15-2011, 10:24 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hello Chad. I ironically wrote another post here in the "Hawaii section" about a friend of mines who was woken up around two in the morning to drive from the Moiiliili District all the way out to Wahiawa. WHY? Icicles! Way back around the early 1980s, it got so cold here on Oahu, that icicles would form on the edge of the rooftops! I wouldn't believe it either, but I do recall it cot very frigid on my way to work in the morning, that my hands would go numb! And this was in the early 80s.

For shopping, you could go to the Ala Moana Shopping Center, Kahala Mall, and the beautiful Windward Mall. Nearer to Waihiawa is the Waikele Shopping Mall, with the WalMart Store there. Stay OUT of Waikiki for any shopping! It is a rip-off! But for cheaper items for snacks, you cannot beat ABC Discount Stores all over Waikiki. You can enjoy a host of FOOD at all the various restraunts!

The real heartbeat of Oahu is just walking around our "downtown" area. The area with all the high risers (NOT Waikiki). Family friendly places are the beaches, and Kakaako Park in the Kakaako district. Chunky Cheese in Kalihi, and you can hike up to Daimond Head or Kokohead for a fabulous view of the city! THERE you can see where you want to visit next! Another family fum place to stroll is the Hawaii Kai Koko Marina.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads