Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2010, 03:57 PM  

Biking Mixed Reviews

I've read that cycling in Hawaii is great, but that you better have some experience, it gets pretty hard. I imagine a road strewn with bikes abandoned by tourists.

There are bike rentals all over the place right? I was told not to worry about reserving a bike, they will be there.

Old 11-24-2010, 02:38 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii

Not sure about abandoned bikes all over the place... I haven't seen any so far, just LOCAL abandoned bikes taken apart at bike racks .

Bicycling in Hawaii is great. I commute to and from work in Honolulu by bike, and at times, it IS quicker than commuting by car!

As for rentals, there are many rentals all over Waikiki. Price, I do not know.

Only thing you have to remember is, NO bicycling on sidewalks anywhere in WAIKIKI and the main DOWNTOWN areas. That is the downtown business district off from Pier 8. Anywhere else, it is permissible, but with a 10 MPH speed limit.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:25 PM  

Biking is good on Oahu, in town it's a good way around and no search for parking. Some places are very steep so better practice a little. If you get in trouble there is plenty of trucks that will help you getting to the top.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:30 AM  

Ocean View
Biking on the Big Island looks dangerous in some areas. I live down south on the isaland ans see biking tours that drop the bikers off and have guides that do the traveling by bike with the paying customers. Avan goes on ahead and waits at differant spots for rest stops. There are areas on the south end of the Hawaii Belt road that are dangerous even to vehicle traffic with narrow roads, no shoulders and blind curves that most vehicles speed around taking the shoulder as they enter or exit the curve. I see these tours and just cringe when I know what curve they are heading to next. It's just a matter of time before theres a serious accident.
Heading north is a whole differant matter. The shoulders are all enlarged for the annual Ironman Race. That's the direction to bike when you come to the Big Island. It's safe.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads