Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2011, 04:28 AM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
Weather Report

Two of our local TV Weather Reporting Stations are saying that there is snow, on the ground, in 49 of the 50 States!!

They are saying all but Florida has snow on the ground!!

How much do you have ??????

Old 01-14-2011, 03:19 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
In The State of Hawaii (ha VAH' ee-ee), only the tops of the tall mountains on The Big Island of Hawaii, and Maui would have snow. Mauna Kea (MAH' oo nah KAY' ah) had an overnight 12 inches of snow. But the snow on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa (MAH' oo nah LOW' ah) would turn to pack ice with the freezing high winds. The snow on Maui's (mah OO' ee) Haleakala (ha lay AH' kah LA') rarely has any snow. If any, maybe less than 3 inches overnight.....

So can you imagine. In ONE day, you could snow board or ski on Mauna Kea, then go down and lie on the beach and swim in the ocean IF it is not raining!

Old 01-14-2011, 04:26 AM  
Supporting Member

Krum, Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808McCullyPawaa View Post
In The State of Hawaii (ha VAH' ee-ee), only the tops of the tall mountains on The Big Island of Hawaii, and Maui would have snow. Mauna Kea (MAH' oo nah KAY' ah) had an overnight 12 inches of snow. But the snow on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa (MAH' oo nah LOW' ah) would turn to pack ice with the freezing high winds. The snow on Maui's (mah OO' ee) Haleakala (ha lay AH' kah LA') rarely has any snow. If any, maybe less than 3 inches overnight.....

So can you imagine. In ONE day, you could snow board or ski on Mauna Kea, then go down and lie on the beach and swim in the ocean IF it is not raining!
Was there any snow there this past week ???
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Yes. Surprisingly in Hawaii we DO have snow depending on the cold fronts that sweeps past our islands. This weekend's cold front was large enough to dump 12 inches of snow on the Big Isle of Hawaii: Mauna Kea had 12 inches!
If you are facinated by this, I can "steal" photos from somewhere, and post it here.....
Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I have some photos of the snow on Mauna Kea. I do not know if these are recent, but this is how snow in HAWAII looks like!
Weather Report-mauna-kea-snow-s_k_trapp.jpg 

Weather Report-maunakea_snow_coconut_leaf.jpg 

Weather Report-maunakeasummitsnows.jpg 

Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
That's amazing, McCully! I've been meaning to hop over to the Big Island one of these weeks...

On Oahu there's nothing of the sort though We got some rain, but just today I was out playing soccer with some Marines, and it was probably 75-80 out!

I kind of miss snow

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-15-2011, 10:08 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
A friend told me a long while ago, that HIS friend woke him up out of bed at around two in the morning. His friend told him, he "better drive out here in Wahiawa (WA' hee ah VAH') (on Oahu). Do it NOW! It IS worth the drive!" So after his friend CONVINCED him to drive out to Wahiawa, he hesitently drove out there, and drove to his friends house. WHAT in the world would his friend want to show my friend past midnight? On OAHU? ICICLES! Waihiawa on OAHU got so cold one morning, that icicles formed on the edge of his friend's house, and this was like a one in a 100 year event! I think this happened in the early 1980s. I remember it was freezing cold (to Hawaii standards) around the early 80s.....
Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Whaatttt?! That'd be insane! I live in Wahiawa, and I'd love to see that!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-16-2011, 12:53 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
That was in the 80s... But Wahiawa is the highest elevation town next to Mililani. I remember Mililani was very chilly around 5:00 PM.
And did you know Wahiawa also had a tornado back in the 80s also? It tore a garage off someones property and tossed it into another yard a few yards away. Also lifted a van, spun it around three times, then dropped it. I remember a friend of mines and I drove all the way over, just to witness the damage. It was NOT anything close you see on the Mainland. Just torn roofs, down trees, and people on their roofs, tending to the lost shingles. I think it was like a F.03 in today's standard. Not even 1/2 of a scale in the Fujita Scale. But a tornado in Hawaii? Well, we did have one like two years ago, in Makakilo, but no damage. It was over empty mountain land.....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > United States City Forums > Hawaii
Bookmark this Page!