Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2011, 06:52 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Danish Porker Tax

10% of Danes are obese. 30% of Americans are obese.

Denmark implements fat tax to curb consumption of fatty foods
Denmark implements fat tax to curb consumption of fatty foods

Quote:
COPENHAGEN, Oct. 1 (Xinhua) -- Denmark implemented a tax on foods high in saturated fat from Saturday, the first of its kind in the world, which will affect products containing more than 2.3 percent saturated fat.

Butter, cream, cheese, meat, cooking oil and processed foods like pizza and dark chocolate are among thousands of products affected. The so-called fat tax is pegged at 16 Danish kroner (2.87 U.S. dollars) per kilo of saturated fat.

Thus, a 250-gram packet of butter, which previously cost 15.5 Danish kroner (2.78 dollars), will now cost 18.10 Danish kroner (3.25 dollars). And the cost of a liter of olive oil has risen from 38.95 Danish kroner (7 dollars) to 41.60 Danish kroner (7.48 dollars), for example.

Some Danes began hoarding the affected products ahead of Saturday's deadline, while stores across Denmark rushed to mark-up prices of these goods.

Although the new tax will mean higher costs for consumers and many food product manufacturers, the Danish government believes the tax is a good way of reducing Danes'consumption of fatty foods.

Local producers are worried the tax will give an unfair advantage to manufacturers from neighboring countries who, they say, can now sell their products more cheaply in the Danish market.

However, tax authorities here said imported food products will also be subject to the tax.
As of now we subsidize the healthcare of the morbidly obese. As of a few years back there were 39,000 people collecting disability for lacking the character to set down their forks. TAX THEM!
Danish Porker Tax-miublobbier.jpg 

Old 10-01-2011, 07:07 PM  

Nashville, TN
Why tax them, they will just spend the $$$ to keep on eating. Kinda like cigaretts, no matter how much they cost, someone will pay the price. Why not just eliminate their healthcare.

Oh, and your new sig line, glad your coming around to the conservative way of thinking.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:49 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
Why tax them, they will just spend the $$$ to keep on eating. Kinda like cigaretts, no matter how much they cost, someone will pay the price. Why not just eliminate their healthcare.

Oh, and your new sig line, glad your coming around to the conservative way of thinking.
Nah, just an example of a "christian" woman full of bile and EVIL.

If we taxed McDonald's & their ilk it sends a good message and increases taxes.

Watching has convinced me many either don't care as long as long as it tastes good or are flat out ignorant about the content of their food.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 PM  
fustrated genius

I ate fast food the other day. Hadn't in a long long time. It made me sick, no kidding, it litterally made me sick.
Taxing it makes more sense than banning it.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
I ate fast food the other day. Hadn't in a long long time. It made me sick, no kidding, it litterally made me sick.
Taxing it makes more sense than banning it.

Pretty much never touch it myself. I use McDonald's Red Boxes but never their food. I think Burger King laces cheap meat with tenderizers and then burns the meat to cover their taste. Hot & Juicy Wendy's is fat filled meat swimming in melted fat juices.

We need more revenue and booze & cigarettes are already hard hit. If we have 90 million obese citizens it makes good sense to teach & tax at the same time.
Danish Porker Tax-cultivateur.jpg 

Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 AM  

Nashville, TN
The issue is why is America fat. You can't tax someone thin, no more than Prohibition stopped alcohol or laws stop drug use. The reason we are getting fat is life style...and the fact is we are lazy. We have gone being from the Land Of The Free to the Land Of Entitlements.

I'm a project mgr at a local roofing company, do you have any idea what our biggest hurdle is being in business? Competition? Pricing? Weather? Economy? Taxes? Regulation?...none of the above. It's finding young folks that will show up and work. And don't give me the menial wage speech, someone with a little work ethic can make a good living doing this if they apply themselves and show up. The funny thing I see on job sites is even the illegals are starting to get Americanized.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:39 AM  

Nashville, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
We need more revenue and booze & cigarettes are already hard hit. If we have 90 million obese citizens it makes good sense to teach & tax at the same time.
Why do we need more revenue? Thats like giving a recovering gambler more money.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Bookmark this Page!