Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2011, 06:56 PM  

How to Start Running?

I am thinking about starting to run for the first time since high school (28 years old).

I have been thinking about following couch to 5k... any recommendations? did you like it? hate it?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 PM  
Community Active

Florence, OR
Work back into it. Start off with a brisk walk for about 5 minutes, then jog as far as you can. If the jog takes you more than a mile, begin the run. Drop back to a jog or walk if you feel like you would be unable to carry on a conversation (heavy mouth breathing). Try to stay in a zone of aerobic exercise. Monitor your pulse and do not exceed your target heart rate.(search target heart rate)

If you have any medical conditions, visit your doctor first!

good luck, have fun!!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 AM  

When i first joined fun run’s, it was not really easy because my doctor advised that i should start working out yet. The doctor said that i should work on building my stamina first. I started by eating healthy and doing some exercise at home. I faced the stationary bike and treadmill for a good month with increasing levels as the weeks go by. Only then was i allowed to do a 5k.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 PM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnatic View Post
I am thinking about starting to run for the first time since high school (28 years old).

I have been thinking about following couch to 5k... any recommendations? did you like it? hate it?
That's the new balance one?

I have a couple people on my team trying it, I dunno, they don't run a lot so I don't see a lot of improvement. I think it depends on the kind of shape you are in when you start.

For me, I would just push myself a little longer each time. I would just up my time, if you have to take a break and walk a little, just make sure it is brisk still. You can always vary you speed throughout.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:06 PM  

well i injured my self 11 months ago... and guess what.. it has not healed. i went a few weeks with no issues and my ankle is back to being very sore still.

I have scheduled a dr appt for tomorrow to see what in the world is still going on
Old 05-05-2011, 02:18 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I hope that you're healing well!

I also recommend taking it slow. Just go ahead and try running 3 miles, every other day, and WALK WHEN YOU NEED TO when you first start off.

Your body will get used to it after a while. Work your way up to where you can finish the entire 3 miles, even if it is a slow jog. Only then, can you start doing some intervals to speed up your time/help you be able to run longer.

Running is one of those things, where only running can make you get better at it!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 06-10-2011, 08:39 AM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
Get a dog.

I have those ankle issues as well. Pain keeps coming back every so often and when I do injure them it takes foreve for the pain to go away. I don't wrap anymore - it seems to do more harm than good. Just make sure your posture and form is good. Even walking wrong will set something off.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads