Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2010, 05:37 PM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
Migraines and Cluster Headaches

Who gets 'em and what treatments do you use or have you tried?

Seems like nothing I've tried works. I keep my diet in check, throw it off to see what may trigger headaches, been through many tests MRI/PET scans, guinea pig meds didn't work or made me really sick. Coffee helps. Small doses of dark chocolate helps with seratonin production. My practitioner gave me percocet and compazine, since my liver tests were horrible after the barrage of drugs, and I just can't tolerate opiates or acetominophin (Tylenol). I can almost tolerate percocet and it actually helps with the pain. It just makes me feel really stupid and it scared me when I burned myself while cooking and started laughing.

Possible triggers: Barometric pressure, mushrooms, and political stupidity.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:47 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Been down the path that they are from night grinding?

Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 AM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
I get them bad, I actually go back to my neurologist today, but most recently my medications to control them have been:

Topamax (it is an anti-seizure drug that helps limits migraines), Maxalt, and one other little tab thing. Also they say Carrots and riboflavin help a lot. Nothing over the counter can touch mine.

Do you go to a neurologist? If not I would say see about one. They can usually pick something that will work better for you, even if you have a liver issue.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 AM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Been down the path that they are from night grinding?

Huh?

I eat plenty of carrots, and I've thought about getting B-12 shots. I tried Topomax, Imitrex (yuck!), and a couple others with no success. I am still waiting on those boys at Oxford to post their data on this so-called migraine gene, but won't hold my breath since they usually have nothing to follow their british "we found it first" attitude. Gonna see what my doctor's next plan is; I don't want to take any drugs if I don't have to. If medical marijuana is suggested I'm going to laugh hysterically!

I'm working on day 6 of a moderately dull skull-splitter and have to go to work on a noisy construction site. I don't know why they call them "suicide headaches," but they almost give me superhuman strength to choke the living shat outta anybody who stands in my way. At least I can fake being in a good mood...maybe a sign of insanity?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:18 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMcGuireXJ View Post
Huh?
Do you grind your teeth at night is what he's asking.

I had migraines when I was a kid, I used the Imitrex subcutaneous skin injector, it took care of one headache, and left me with sinus pain. The Docs all agreed after puberty they would stop, and they did.

They ran me on a lot of stuff, if you have the ability to check out Fiorinal, has a barbiturate in it that just puts you out for the duration of the headache.

Now I have sinus issues, everyone in my family does, I'm excited in that I have not had a headache for three days now. Well when I cough it hurts my head, but no real headache to speak of.

I try not to take anything for it, all that stuff hurts me stomach pretty bad. Every once in a while I have to take a couple of Vicodin and go lay down.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:35 AM  
running around

Syracuse, NY
Yeah, there is a difference between sinus pressure/pain and a migraine, however, allergies can cause migraines. I know I have both issues bad.

Depending on where the migraine is and where is starts is going to depend on the treatment. I couldn't do the shots because they wouldn't get there quick enough. I always did the quick dissolve tabs and nasal spays.

Also how many mg of Topamax were you on? I am on 100 and it is only just starting to not really work.

Also if you eat a lot of processed foods that could help the causes, they have a lot of nitrates which suck. Chocolate really isn't good for people with migraines, even dark.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:59 PM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
Yeah, yeah, but good dark chocolate helps me feel better and it seems to stimulate good moods...

I don't grind my teeth, I respect my dental team too much. Chewing gum sometimes gives me a headache. Different kind. I tried sleeping with a mouth guard - blecch!

I thought I still had the Topomax card, but it's gone. I'm pretty sure it wasn't 100mg. There was something that kind of worked, but got pulled and I can't remember what it was. Imitrex made me so sick that I didn't qualify for injections.

Fiorinal - that's the junk my father-in-law was on that I couldn't remember, and he couldn't either! Nope, I want to stay somewhat functional, although I usually end up hiding in a cool dark bedroom sleeping it off. Maybe I'll try it.

Benadryl. I used to get really hyper on this stuff when I was younger. I took it a lot before I entered into these treatments, thinking my bad allergies were the cause. Still help a little with the mild frozen-n-screw-in-the-brain headaches. Doesn't help with sinus headaches, though. My body likes to couteract stuff. Vicodin does nothing for me, and codeine makes me really nauseous. My iron stomach can't even handle aspirin anymore.

Feverfew, and other herbs. Still need to try those. I have a list somewhere from a holistic "witch doctor," and one of the Asian pharmacists recommended some remedies, including small doses of 85% cocoa. Aroma and vapor therapy - haven't found anything that truely works. The smell of money...
Old 12-07-2010, 01:53 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Ask your Doctor for a lose dose of Amitriptyline and take it before bed. Night clinching has no effect on your teeth, your Dentist would not know. It's a common cause of migraines and cluster headaches.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:11 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMcGuireXJ View Post
Fiorinal - that's the junk my father-in-law was on that I couldn't remember, and he couldn't either! Nope, I want to stay somewhat functional, although I usually end up hiding in a cool dark bedroom sleeping it off. Maybe I'll try it.

Benadryl. I used to get really hyper on this stuff when I was younger. I took it a lot before I entered into these treatments, thinking my bad allergies were the cause. Still help a little with the mild frozen-n-screw-in-the-brain headaches. Doesn't help with sinus headaches, though. My body likes to couteract stuff. Vicodin does nothing for me, and codeine makes me really nauseous. My iron stomach can't even handle aspirin anymore.

Feverfew, and other herbs. Still need to try those. I have a list somewhere from a holistic "witch doctor," and one of the Asian pharmacists recommended some remedies, including small doses of 85% cocoa. Aroma and vapor therapy - haven't found anything that truely works. The smell of money...
If you are going to be in bed, no point in suffering, might as well knock yourself out.

I'm a fan of herbalism, I have a stomach issue that peppermint does wonders for, but Homeopathy is horrible and should be avoided. It's terrible that people can still sell snake oil and get away with it. The majority of Asian medicine is herbalism, what discipline was your witch Dr?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:14 PM  
Looks at dirty Jeep pics

Tucson, Arizona
Ok, I'll try that. I still think it's the Barometric pressure coupled with changes in the weather. I usually feel better when it rains. Monsoon season is murder!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Bookmark this Page!