Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Stiff Neck Solutions

For the past month or so I've had a really sore and stiff neck every single day. NSAIDS don't seem to cure it.

I've changed my sleeping ways and even bed I use, no help.

Cut out caffeine completely, nothing.

Anyone been in the same boat before?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:59 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I have neck pain if I sleep wrong, but nothing to the extent you are talking about. You should go see a Doc.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM  
Where am I ????

Calgary, Alberta
Did you do something that was different, or move in a certain way that would have caused a pinched nerve or put something out of allingment? I also agree with Austin that you should see your doctor and then see about allternative medicines.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:12 PM  

Valencia, California
Keith, I can relate. Until receintly, I had unrelenting neck pain for the last three years, it never went away totally, just had varying amounts of pain. I had x rays, I had MRI's, they indicated only that I had a bit of arthritis. I couldn't understand why and refused to accept that I would have to endure this for the rest of my life. I tried chiropractic adjustment (some temp relief with this), I tried cortosone injections (pretty good medium-term relief from this), I never did try acupuncture, I tried physical rehab traction, which helped a lot, but was only covered for a few visits on insurace, so I couldn't afford to continue on my own dime. I was buying nsaid's in bulk at costco and eating them non-stop. Based on the positive results from traction, I constructed my own portable neck traction device that I would hang on a door and use as needed, which worked really well. I still use it occasionally. I just receintly found a shaped pillow that has been a godsend for me. I also adjusted my work computer monitor upward to prevent bending by neck while working.

I have gotten to the point now that I am mostly pain-free. I rarely take medication, I no longer get cortizone injections, no more rehab or chiropractic. I attribute the change to several things... finally finding a good pillow, computer monitor adjustment, and my own traction device when I have a flareup. It took a VERY long time to get to this point, but it did happen. You just need to keep trying things and be patient.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM  

Toledo, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDDUDE View Post
Keith, I can relate. Until receintly, I had unrelenting neck pain for the last three years, it never went away totally, just had varying amounts of pain. I had x rays, I had MRI's, they indicated only that I had a bit of arthritis. I couldn't understand why and refused to accept that I would have to endure this for the rest of my life. I tried chiropractic adjustment (some temp relief with this), I tried cortosone injections (pretty good medium-term relief from this), I never did try acupuncture, I tried physical rehab traction, which helped a lot, but was only covered for a few visits on insurace, so I couldn't afford to continue on my own dime. I was buying nsaid's in bulk at costco and eating them non-stop. Based on the positive results from traction, I constructed my own portable neck traction device that I would hang on a door and use as needed, which worked really well. I still use it occasionally. I just receintly found a shaped pillow that has been a godsend for me. I also adjusted my work computer monitor upward to prevent bending by neck while working.

I have gotten to the point now that I am mostly pain-free. I rarely take medication, I no longer get cortizone injections, no more rehab or chiropractic. I attribute the change to several things... finally finding a good pillow, computer monitor adjustment, and my own traction device when I have a flareup. It took a VERY long time to get to this point, but it did happen. You just need to keep trying things and be patient.
Excellent advice, but the take home point of this is to make sure there is NOTHING STRUCTURALLY WRONG FIRST.

With 2 mo of neck pain, you need to see your doctor. A good history including any numbness/tingling in the hands and fingers, strength testing of the muscles on each side to MAKE SURE you have no NERVE entrapment. Imaging studies to make SURE there is nothing catastrophic lurking in the c-spine, and maybe an MRI depending on your situation.

Then on to the modalities for pain and symptom relief.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:14 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
RNDDUDE can you post a picture of your device please. I would love to see it and learn how it functions.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:49 PM  
edh

Calgary, AB
neck stiffness and soreness.

I have a chronic condition that's bugged me for years. I find relief with heat and stretching. If I don't stretch daily it gets worse.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 AM  

Valencia, California
Keith, I will try to get a picture posted soon. Be advised, it would be for illustrative purposes only. I cannot comment on it's potential utility for anyone other than myself, as that could be considered practicing medicine without a license in this litigious society.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:10 PM  

Waco, Texas
Stress, been there done that
Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 AM  

Valencia, California
the RACK

Keith, as promised a photo. Device used facing away from the wall, with round pad at base of skull and chin on forward pad. (please excuse the rust, I left it outside one weekend...)
Stiff Neck Solutions-dscn0169.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Health / Exercise
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.