Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2011, 12:56 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Armadillos-Pest Control

So I'm outside last night when I see movement out of the corner of my eye.

Turns out I have an Armadillo the size of a small dog. Really it's the biggest one I've ever seen.

I would prefer to just make him leave. Is there anything I can do to the area he's staying in top make him want to depart?

Any other suggestions? Please remember I am in city limits and cannot legally discharge a firearm.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Examples of bogus armadillo repellant include napthalene (moth ball) flakes, predature urine, such as fox urine or coyote urine, both in liquid and powder shake away form, and castor oil. Of these products, castor oil seems like a decent idea, because it could make the ground and the insects in it taste bad, but you'd have to use a ton of it, constantly. In years past, I have tried many different products, just to experiment. They all failed miserably.

Some companies will sell ultrasonic sound emitters as a cure-all for any kind of pest out there. These products are fraudulent. The FTC has even issued a warning about how these products are a fraud and have absolutely no basis for providing effective pest repellent qualities. No high-frequency unit will make armadillos leave. I have even been to homes in which people have gone so far as to dump a whole five pound box of mothballs down the armadillo hole, or pour a whole gallon of bleach down there, and the armadillos don't care in the slightest!

The only way to solve an armadillo problem is to physically trap and remove them from the property. Unfortunately, there is no simple solution, no magic spray that will keep 'em away. The good news is that they are easy to trap - if you have good knowledge of the animal - and once out of the area, you don't have to worry about the animal digging up your yard or digging a big hole next to your home any more. Your best bet to eliminate armadillos is not an armadillo deterrent product, it's to hire a professional wildlife trapper.
That from a wildlife trapper.
HTML Code:
http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/armadillorepellent.htm
I understand about firearms but a discreetly used BB gun can make most critters seek less exciting territory. Never tried one on armor though.

Quote:
Prevention/Solution
The only true solution is to trap and remove the animals. They are fairly easy to trap, and once removed from a location tend to set up roots elsewhere, typically not returning to the area from where they've been removed.
Hardware stores and feed and supply stores in the regions inhabited by armadillos sell traps made specifically for this purpose. Wildlife experts suggest releasing the trapped armadillos at least 10 miles from an infested property.

Time Frame

This armadillo emerges from his very detailed burrow.
It will certainly take a few trips, and possibly multiple traps to capture all the armadillos invading a property or garden area. This is because armadillos don't tend to travel solo. The large burrows they dig house multiple family members, and they tend to wander freely for quite a distance, and to head off on numerous solo adventures. Even if a burrow is set up with traps, it doesn't guarantee complete success, as members of a specific burrow may be out wandering when a catch takes place.

Warning
While armadillos are pests with regard to gardens and the unsightly mess they create by digging up lawns, they do create a danger of sorts that many people aren't aware of. The extensive burrows the armadillos dig often wind underneath concrete steps and home foundations or slabs. This can put pressure on aging structures and ultimately wind up cracking or caving in some of them. Even if the mess they create isn't frowned upon by homeowners, it is still advised to remove the armadillos from the property.

Prevention/Solution
Don't fall prey to claims made by sellers or manufacturers of armadillo repellent. While some of the more natural methods like predator urine may appear to work temporarily, and won't harm man or beast, they aren't by any means a permanent solution to the problem of armadillo invasion.
About Armadillo Repellent | eHow.com

Austin Animal Control & Wildlife Removal

T-X Wildlife Pro:
Contact 512-914-7287

HTML Code:
http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/Professional-Trapper/city/TX-Austin.htm
Armadillos-Pest Control-austin.jpg 

Old 06-15-2011, 01:22 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I used to hunt them at my Grandparent's lake house when I was younger and the .22 was rarely enough to chase them off. I don't know if a bb will work. I will try it though.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:39 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
and the .22 was rarely enough to chase them off. I don't know if a bb will work. I will try it though.
wow, .22 proof is impressive. I do swear by the nose shot though. Almost all animals have soft spots.

Ever try CB caps? They're half a .22 short if that. The lead often falls off the end but they're quiet, great for a basement rat hunt and not fun to be hit by. If you have a paintball gun try painting him fluorescent orange. I don't know if it would chase him away but some pictures could be fun.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I've only hit them broadsided, so in other words in the armor.

I've never tried or heard of CB caps.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:47 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Q-7. I WANT TO TRAP OR KILL AN ARMADILLO MYSELF. IS THAT OK?
Back to FAQ

A. We understand the desire to take care of an armadillo problem yourself. It may be tempting to take matters into your own hands, but in the long run, you could put yourself, your family and your home at risk of damage, distress and disease. By coming into contact with armadillo fecal matter or armadillo claws, you would be putting yourself in danger of some serious diseases (refer to Q-5 above).

Because of the unique behaviors of armadillos, it is very difficult for an amateur armadillo trapper to know how to get rid of armadillos. Shooting is not a good option to get rid of armadillos. The armadillo removal experts at United Wildlife will humanely trap any existing armadillos, and then offer armadillo prevention ideas and techniques.

A homeowner may successfully trap and kill an adult armadillo, only to smell the nasty odor of baby armadillo carcasses rotting under the porch, house or deck. It can take between one and two years, depending on the size, for an armadillo body to decompose, and even longer for the odor to dissipate. Along with decomposing bodies come maggots and other bugs, including fly larvae.
HTML Code:
http://www.unitedwildlife.com/animalsarmadillos.html#7
Good information but I wouldn't worry about trapping one. just be super careful your hands are clean and bait it with something they like like peanut butter covered grubs. I'm sure your neighbors know a list of favorites. Our humane society will lend me live traps.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:34 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Edit: Just read the firearm no-discharge issue. That's a shame. I suggest waiting until closer to 4 Jul, when everyone is used to fireworks going off everywhere and is unlikely to call the cops.

+

=

Lemme know if I can help. Killing armored, leprosy-infected rodents is probably the closest anyone will actually get to a zombie apocalypse.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:31 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
HTML Code:
http://www.unitedwildlife.com/animalsarmadillos.html#7
Good information but I wouldn't worry about trapping one. just be super careful your hands are clean and bait it with something they like like peanut butter covered grubs. I'm sure your neighbors know a list of favorites. Our humane society will lend me live traps.
I'm going out for live traps tonight. My Wife saw it and wants it gone now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Edit: Just read the firearm no-discharge issue. That's a shame. I suggest waiting until closer to 4 Jul, when everyone is used to fireworks going off everywhere and is unlikely to call the cops.

+

=

Lemme know if I can help. Killing armored, leprosy-infected rodents is probably the closest anyone will actually get to a zombie apocalypse.
I laughed.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
I started getting under my deck and sure enough there is a massive burrow.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:45 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post

I've used the 4th with good success in the past.

Quote:
Q-7. I WANT TO TRAP OR KILL AN ARMADILLO MYSELF. IS THAT OK?
Back to FAQ

A. We understand the desire to take care of an armadillo problem yourself. It may be tempting to take matters into your own hands, but in the long run, you could put yourself, your family and your home at risk of damage, distress and disease. By coming into contact with armadillo fecal matter or armadillo claws, you would be putting yourself in danger of some serious diseases (refer to Q-5 above).

Because of the unique behaviors of armadillos, it is very difficult for an amateur armadillo trapper to know how to get rid of armadillos. Shooting is not a good option to get rid of armadillos. The armadillo removal experts at United Wildlife will humanely trap any existing armadillos, and then offer armadillo prevention ideas and techniques.
This borders on ZOMBIE WAR OF ARMAGEDDON.....

The pests are either armored or poisonous. The indigenous flora is covered with spikes. The earth is prone to catching fire for weeks and the temperatures can fry your instep if you step on a sidewalk barefoot. You may need a tractor to level your yard as they tend to move around with wind.

I'd rather fight Zombies than fight Texas & Arizona ambiance.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads