Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 PM  

Charlottesville, VA
Cedar Siding Maintenance

Has anyone ever maintained a house with cedar siding? I really love the look of if, but I do think ti needs to be re-stained soon. Any suggestions on preparing it for stain? I am afraid to pressure wash but I do need to clean black mold from under the eaves and places that don't get much sun.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:40 PM  

I would recommend pressure washing the siding, and let it dry for about one month. Once it's completely dried, purchase a cheap pump sprayer, add Thompson's waterproofing and sealer, and spray away. Thompson's also comes in various stain colors, so you can decide what looks the best for you.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:24 AM  

x2

Pressure washing would be the easiest thing, just make sure it's not turned up to high and don't stay in one spot very long.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:28 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
there are specific ways to treat cedar siding and roofing to include special and specific treatment chemicals. i would contact whoever installs the stuff and ask them, then post what they say!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:37 AM  

Charlottesville, VA
Thanks guys! This is really helpful. I will let you know what else I find out and what I end up doing... appreciate the advice.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!