Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2010, 05:38 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Floating foundation decking

Anyone ever used a floating foundation for building a deck?

It's basically concrete blocks that you set above ground that have pre-formed slots to slide the wood in for a foundation.

Just wondering if anyone's ever used this and if it was sufficiently sturdy or how it worked out during the building process.

Thanks guys!

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Yes, that's what I used on my current deck, built about 1997. I used the blocks that are tapered, wider at the base, and did dig about 4" deep and set them below grade just to keep them from moving. The deck is only two steps above ground, though. When I built one at a previous house that came off the second story, I poured concrete pads with U shaped steel anchored to attach the posts to as was required by code. I had to have a permit due to the height.

In colder climates people have to go below the frost line. Where you are, I might be concerned about the sandy soil sinking from heavy rains. So far mine has not sunk at all in 13 years but while we get a lot of rain the soil is very rocky and not sandy.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:28 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Well actually, I'm just stationed here on Oahu until 2013, and then I'll be making my way to southeast Missouri, which is where we plan on buying a house at. So it'll be there - mainly rain is prevalent, so should I worry about it sinking with the soil being moist? I'm not sure about how rocky - my in-laws are in the area, so I may just have them dig a hole to get a feel for how the land is going to be.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 AM  

Sammamish, WA
Best speak to people there about it, a knowledgeable person at a building supply for example that knows the soil. You don't have a freezing problem, but if your lot is in a former river plain it may be very sandy and need a wider concrete pad under the blocks.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Roger that yeah I'll check it out, thanks for the info

Old 11-18-2010, 12:12 PM  
Gorgonzola stuffed olives

North CT / Denmark
Not all places allow it. Usually it's a bit more strict if your deck is attached to the house w/ a ledger - but even with my free-standing deck I was required to dig down 4' and cast the piers.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:27 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I see - I didn't figure they'd sell it if it wasn't all the way legal yet

Old 11-19-2010, 10:12 AM  
Gorgonzola stuffed olives

North CT / Denmark
It's perfectly legal to use it ..... in certain applications. Height of the deck and geographic location are the main 2 variables.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.