Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: What type of floors y'got?
Solid Hardwood and didn't look back! 10 55.56%
Engineered Hardwood - the "tweener" 4 22.22%
Laminate - I'm afraid of commitment 0 0%
Other - please, do explain! 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 PM  

Chambersburg, PA
My house is a '70' rancher and a kit home to boot. But, it has hardwood floors throughout which were installed by the original owner (I know the guy). There are so many squeeks in the floor that a burgler wouldn't have a chance. He put down resin paper throughout so I don't know what the heck went wrong. The funny thing is that I had a basement in the basement while my family was young and the children sounded like they had hoofed feet when running down the hall. We carpeted over nearly all of the hardwood but pulled it up when the kids were grown and the business was no longer there. We're enjoying the floor - had it sanded and refinished and it looks great.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:14 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
What do you do to keep your hardwood up to date, if you don't mind me asking?
For the cleaner solution for the hardwood floors we used to use a product made by ZEP that I bought at Home Depot but they havn't had it on their shelves for some time now. Now we use Bona hardwood floor cleaner that we get from Home Depot or Lowes. Usually use this Bona cleaner about every month or so. I've yet to have used a polish for these floors as they pretty much still look new since we had them refinished 4 years ago. Ocassionally we'll get light surface scratches on the finish mostly in the entry of the house. What I found worked out for this is a surface blemish stick I got at the R.C. Wilies furniture store for our dining table. This stuff, you rub it on let it haze then burnish it off with a soft cloth. Not made for this application but it works well. Other than that we vacum and use a dust mop with some Endust on it about twice a week.

For the engineered hardwood flooring in the TV room we just use a dust mop and ocassionally damp sponge mop with a mild detergent and rinse with sponge mop with clear water.

We have a pet but it is never allowed in the house and I'm in my mid 50's and have no children on a regular basis here either. So we usually don't have that extra wear and tear that children and pets cause on flooring of any kind.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:58 PM  

Chambersburg, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
For the engineered hardwood flooring in the TV room we just use a dust mop and ocassionally damp sponge mop with a mild detergent and rinse with sponge mop with clear water.
The guy who refinished my solid floors said that the modern polyurethane made especially for floors didn't require anything than a damp mop. He said that an occassional splash of Murphy's Oil Soap in the mop water but *Never* use a wax.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:17 PM  

Ohio
If you are using water on engineered or hardwood flooring you are asking for problems. First the finish will start to blister then the wood will start to crack.
Even on laminate flooring mopping with water is a problem. Water will get in between the joints and the will swell.
There are cleaners made specifically for hardwood and for laminate. You have a large investment in your floors why would you use something that is NOT recommended for your flooring? Read the information that came with it and use the correct cleaners
Old 11-26-2010, 12:37 PM  

Chambersburg, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
<snip> You have a large investment in your floors why would you use something that is NOT recommended for your flooring? Read the information that came with it and use the correct cleaners
It *was* recommended for use by the refinisher. I can see your point if one figures that mopping is slathering on the water. I'm thinking of barely wet but I know what you mean by water causing the floor to lift. If oak, it will also discolor.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:11 PM  

Ohio
I still would not use water or Murphys oil soap. Murphys Oil Soap leaves a film and actually attracts dirt. If you want your floors looking like new for many years use a recommended hardwood flooring cleaner. Its your floor but dont say I didnt warn you. In time I think you will see I am correct
Old 11-27-2010, 04:10 PM  

Chambersburg, PA
I hadn't even heard of the hardwood floor cleaner, Orlando. I'll be looking for it and thanks for the tip!
Old 11-27-2010, 05:32 PM  

Ohio
There are many brands of hardwood floor cleaner. Go to your local box store, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards etc. It should be in the flooring section
Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 AM  

gardnerville, nv
Real hard wood looks far better. Laminate hard wood floors hold up far better. I installed laminate in my (now rental) but then was my only house 3 years ago I have 2 large dogs and 2 cats both dogs would run and lose traction but never marked or gouged the floors they held up great. If your planning on installing them your self be warned I never hurt so bad in my life after I was done Knees Thighs Back Abs Neck Arms Feet Shoulders Toes Fingers Ears you name it, it HURT. The real hard wood seems to be getting light surface scratches from the dog nails. I think the real may pick up color from spilled drink easer too not sure but just makes sense. If your not planning on kids or animals mainly dogs and can afford the real go for it but if kids or pets are in the future don't throw away the money they will get trashed.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:08 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
We had pergo good stuff easy to use. But water under it and your done for. The first floor we put in then that one got ruined by a backed up drain. That was going to be replaced with engineered hardwood. But when the flooring guys opened the boxes they planks were so warped it was not funny. Took it back HD gave us what we wanted. We went with pre-finished hardwood for our raised foyer and A Dupont laminate for the rest of the down satires. People make comments about how good our HARDWOOD looks all the time. Then I tell them it is laminate and they are blown away. I have 4 cats and a dog who love to run and play in the house. With the animals and the 2 kids the laminate is holding up great. The hardwood does not it has dented and gets scratched easy. Plus one joint pulled apart and now collects dirt.

I like laminate because you don't have to strip and refinish ever. The bad thing is if the floor is not level your going to have a hallow sound in places. If you have wood subfloor I would go with 1 of three things. Bamboo, Cork, or heated tile. There is no sweeter thing than getting up in the morning and walking down stairs on a cold winter morning to have your bare feet warmed gently by your warm tile.

Natural Cork Flooring - Globus Cork - Colored Cork Floor and Cork Wall Tiles

Both cork and bamboo are green building products. Hell you can't kill bamboo I know I am trying and have been for 4 years. I spray it once a month with roundup ground clear and it still keeps coming back. Cork is also very green as it is made from the bark of a tree and grows back fast I believe.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Home Improvement
Bookmark this Page!